Quantcast

Stephen Hawking rips off Independence Day

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
THE aliens are out there and Earth had better watch out, at least according to Stephen Hawking. He has suggested that extraterrestrials are almost certain to exist — but that instead of seeking them out, humanity should be doing all it that can to avoid any contact.
He suggests that aliens might simply raid Earth for its resources and then move on: “We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn’t want to meet. I imagine they might exist in massive ships, having used up all the resources from their home planet. Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach.”

He concludes that trying to make contact with alien races is “a little too risky”. He said: “If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/science/space/article7107207.ece

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
My bad, my comment about your copy and paste skills was poking fun at Stephen Hawking and that silly article. I'm sure you will agree that it doesn't warrant any serious consideration. :p
It wasn't meant to be a smug, condescending attack.

Last edited:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Meh,

I figure the earth is made up of a fairly common materials that the rest of the universe is made up with. Advanced races could mine the sh*t out of asteroid belts, siphon hydrogen off gas giants, terraform a planet if they need to settle down. The only reason to stop by earth is the occasional cattle mutilation, anal probing drunken binge.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
exactly 1 of 2 exclusive things must be true:
- God exists, and we are it as far as life goes
- "this" is arbitrary, and w/o defined size/scope, alien life forms *must* exist in rather enormous numbers, and it's a mathematical prediction as to when they *should* stop by (assumption is there are many forms far advanced than we)

either way, as far as what i'd think about if trapped inside his body, i'm pretty much the sock puppet in the kia sorento commercial

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So you've been hanging out with your stuffed tiger again?
Duh. Don't leave home without him. He's sitting on my tool box as I type. :busted:

Well who do you think they would contact? SETI? Joe Sixpack?
That assumes an awful lot don't you think? Its the ultimate in arogance to assume that a species thats mastered intergalactic travel is even going to give notice to anyone/anything on this planet. I'm guessing they would just park in orbit and fire up the disintegration ray.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
That assumes an awful lot don't you think? Its the ultimate in arogance to assume that a species thats mastered intergalactic travel is even going to give notice to anyone/anything on this planet.
Why would they not want to check up on their zoological experiment?

Some walk the halls of the Pentagon after-all.;)
Lance Lord was the commander of the Aerospace Command which is possibly spaced based now.

Last edited: