Quantcast

Stereo monkeys?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
There really aren't many companies that make amps that drive all channels for the spec on the box.

Damping factor is a bit of a wank yes it is important but most amps are fine, power is what you need- DF is No1 in the Audio myths-
Top 5 Audio Myths Selecting drivers that are suited to the enclosure is way more important than having an amp with a damping factor of a trillion.

Earthquakes 7 channel 150W RMS(8 Ohm) weighs 36kg, it's heavy because it has a big transformer which you need when running 7 channels at 150W RMS.
http://www.earthquakesound.com/pdf_manuals/cinenova_manual.pdf

My car system has around 500W RMS avaliable for the front speakers alone and because they are so inefficient the seem to need quite a bit of the avaliable power. Next time I will get something more efficient as my system is murder on the charging system.
as i said, most good companies list true output for all channels driven. the CEA standard widely used in car audio has been slowly making a appearance in the home audio side of the industry.

of course speaker enclosure plays a bigger roll then anything related to the amp. if a home audio speaker company cant figure that out, then they should be in business. and btw, that website "myths" section is full of lulz. throwing moar power at a speaker isnt the way to do it. a good, clean amp would suffice more.
and yes, Earthquake amps are heavy and output a lot of power....the only downside is that it has a horrendous sounding output and they make terrible products. a better example would be Sunfire or Mcintosh. or even NAD which makes high current amps in their receivers and separates despite "only" being rated at 80w or so

throwing more power at inefficient speakers is just a waste IMO and im sure you agree since you are using a 500w RMS amp for two speakers. im using a 4 channel 300watt RMS amp for my front components and its more than enough with my Focal speakers. a efficient amp would negate the need for a better charging system. my system is 200amp total and my charging system has zero issue keeping up.

Thats really funny, The A-team bluray is in DTS-5.1, the movie isn't even coded for 7.1. There are few movies that are coded 7.1.
yep. newer 7.1 receivers can turn any source into a "7.1" output

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008

Ahh, gimmiks. Just my opinion. I really liked my old Lexicon on bypass with no bs, I really need to get around to ordering a new power supply for it, dam power surge took it out.

I have a Sunfire amp on my 2 channel rig, its nice but not the be all end all. I would really like to check out a Conrad Johnson 2 channel but I have other priorities first.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ahh, gimmiks. Just my opinion.

I have a Sunfire amp on my 2 channel rig, its nice but not the be all end all. I would really like to check out a Conrad Johnson 2 channel but I have other priorities first.
7.1 has its place in large rooms but still isnt necessary with a decent set of surround speakers

i personally love Sunfire amps. i think they have a nice warm sound to them, especially for the money. and their subs are unreal, especially their Super Junior :drool:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Ahh, gimmiks. Just my opinion. I really liked my old Lexicon on bypass with no bs, I really need to get around to ordering a new power supply for it, dam power surge took it out.

7.1 has its place in large rooms but still isnt necessary with a decent set of surround speakers

i personally love Sunfire amps. i think they have a nice warm sound to them, especially for the money. and their subs are unreal, especially their Super Junior :drool:
I could see using the produced 7.1 if you had a really big room to fill just to get the volume, but a good 5.1 is pretty impressive. I would much rather have a properly amped 5.1 setup than a 7.1. I love subwoofers. I would make love to my SVS if I could.

Anything is better than nothing though....at least it gets people a taste of what's out there. I dread watching stuff at people's houses that use the tv speakers. A 65" flat screen is affordable, but heaven forbid they spend more than $200 on any sort of surround setup. It's either that or biting my tongue about how great someone's Bose setup is. Yea, the midbass out of those 1.5" speakers sounds awesome....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anything is better than nothing though....at least it gets people a taste of what's out there. I dread watching stuff at people's houses that use the tv speakers. A 65" flat screen is affordable, but heaven forbid they spend more than $200 on any sort of surround setup. It's either that or biting my tongue about how great someone's Bose setup is. Yea, the midbass out of those 1.5" speakers sounds awesome....
I am a cheap bastard but grew up around top notch setups in car audio and expect the same from my house. I was able to get a better (and bigger) TV than my buddy because I waited 6 months, then got one level down on the receiver because I didn't need the additional features and paid 1/3 of the $$$. Then I pieced my speakers together all on sale.

My total setup was just under $2k for everything. My buddy spent over $3k and his receiver just died. :rofl:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I am a cheap bastard but grew up around top notch setups in car audio and expect the same from my house. I was able to get a better (and bigger) TV than my buddy because I waited 6 months, then got one level down on the receiver because I didn't need the additional features and paid 1/3 of the $$$. Then I pieced my speakers together all on sale.

My total setup was just under $2k for everything. My buddy spent over $3k and his receiver just died. :rofl:
I'm pretty much the same. I bought my house with the intention of where the surround system was going to go. All these newfangled housing designed with living rooms that are mean't to be 'intimate' instead of for space for big ass TVs and speakers piss me off. I love the look of some nice floorstanders. I'm grateful my lady likes surround sound too and I'm not one of the poor souls that has to justify a big tv, buy crappy speakers that fit in the ceiling or wall so she doesn't have to look at them or fit all my components into some fruity furniture case. I don't mind spending money, but I'm cheap like you and want to get the best bang for the buck I can.

My receiver was bought for a fraction of the price on clearance. It was the last one they had in a box...at Best Buy surprisingly enough by chance. I had actually been looking at cheaper models and picked it up for less that I had budgeted for one of those.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My receiver was bought for a fraction of the price on clearance. It was the last one they had in a box...at Best Buy surprisingly enough by chance. I had actually been looking at cheaper models and picked it up for less that I had budgeted for one of those.
I got the Onkyo TX-SR606, last one in stock at Video Only for like $200 or something crazy. Joe got the 707 and paid $800, then 2 channels blew out and he lost 2 inputs.

Mine just stopped working (3 years old) on the Wii. So I just plugged it into the TV straight. I will upgrade if I ever buy a blue ray plyaer. :rofl:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I have a Yamaha RX-V2095 and some Marantz. They were both free. I want to replace the Marantz but it keeps working, and there are other upgrades ahead of it.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
as i said, most good companies list true output for all channels driven. the CEA standard widely used in car audio has been slowly making a appearance in the home audio side of the industry.

of course speaker enclosure plays a bigger roll then anything related to the amp. if a home audio speaker company cant figure that out, then they should be in business. and btw, that website "myths" section is full of lulz. throwing moar power at a speaker isnt the way to do it. a good, clean amp would suffice more.
and yes, Earthquake amps are heavy and output a lot of power....the only downside is that it has a horrendous sounding output and they make terrible products. a better example would be Sunfire or Mcintosh. or even NAD which makes high current amps in their receivers and separates despite "only" being rated at 80w or so

throwing more power at inefficient speakers is just a waste IMO and im sure you agree since you are using a 500w RMS amp for two speakers. im using a 4 channel 300watt RMS amp for my front components and its more than enough with my Focal speakers. a efficient amp would negate the need for a better charging system. my system is 200amp total and my charging system has zero issue keeping up.

I'd love to see the CEA standard on everything, imagine if your car said it had a 5L engine and it was only 4L people wouldn't stand for that. My car front stage is run by two amps 175WRMS(ea) for the midwoofers 50 for the mids and 50 for the tweeters and it sounds pretty average for so much effort, CDT gear is so overpriced.

I've never heard an Earthquake haome theatre amp so I can't comment, there seems to be big variations in home theatre amps SQ. My fairly old Denon sounds crap compared to a similar priced Onkyo of the same vintage and it is complete poo compared to a 70's model JVC stero amp I replaced the Denon with. My Denon picked up all sorts of electrical noise, God it was bad.

I'm bad for thread derails, sorry.

I like Eminent technology speakers but they are super inefficient and quite directional but they sound orgasmic and that's the main thing.