Quantcast

Steve Jobs steps down

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Thank you cancer. Now get me some Flash on my iPhone!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's how much I hate Steve Jobs.
And yes, I am that much of an asshole.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It means a long bad stretch for Apple.

Just look at the last time he left for good.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I'm major bummed about it. I've been using apple since the Apple II. I love their product. I've had the opportunity to use just about every Mac since they started the program. Shame he's stepping down. He's been the visionary behind all of Apple's greatest products. Steve Jobs can say something no one else can. He revolutionized six industries. Personal computers, animated movies, how you listen and buy music, cell phones, tablet computing, and digital publishing. He's contributed more to our world that anyone else I know of. He deserves the credit respect and recognition.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'm major bummed about it. I've been using apple since the Apple II. I love their product. I've had the opportunity to use just about every Mac since they started the program. Shame he's stepping down. He's been the visionary behind all of Apple's greatest products. Steve Jobs can say something no one else can. He revolutionized six industries. Personal computers, animated movies, how you listen and buy music, cell phones, tablet computing, and digital publishing. He's contributed more to our world that anyone else I know of. He deserves the credit respect and recognition.
Ooooooh you are so going to get a syndasti beat down for that! :shocked:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
while the quality of their products for the regular consumer are nice, I feel like they have forgot about the professionals. The Pro line just aint what it used to be. Sure they have multi-cores procs, & etc...but I feel the g5 mac pros were more stable & dependable.

....and I blame Steve Jobs.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Thank you cancer. Now get me some Flash on my iPhone!
With the arrival of HTML 5. Flash, as it is used today, will probably start to disappear. Good news for me as Action Script is a PITA to work with, and Flash, as an application, is a disaster.

As for Jobs, he had the Whipple procedure done if I'm not mistaken. That operation really screws people upas it removes half the stomach and reroutes it like some kind of alien science experiment. That's why he's so skinny I'm sure. I hope he still is able to live a normal life, as his health is obviously failing.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
while the quality of their products for the regular consumer are nice, I feel like they have forgot about the professionals. The Pro line just aint what it used to be. Sure they have multi-cores procs, & etc...but I feel the g5 mac pros were more stable & dependable.

....and I blame Steve Jobs.
Our creative department hasn't had a single hiccup out of any of our 5 new generation machines. What problems have you had?

Of course my old G5 tower, G4 and both my blue G3 and my grey G3 Towers are all still functional. So I cant speak to the new machine's longevity like I can the older generation machines.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Right. I'm sure the MILLIONS of websites that use Flash will jump right on this. :rofl:
$10 says the new iPhone5 will do Flash, Apple will spin it like "for the first time ever, hardware technology has progressed to the point that a phone maker can do it *right*", and Apple fanatics will lap it up along with everything else. Suddenly being able to play Flash will be touted as a major development, and something to jump on an iPhone for (see 3/4G).

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
With the arrival of HTML 5. Flash, as it is used today, will probably start to disappear. Good news for me as Action Script is a PITA to work with, and Flash, as an application, is a disaster.
Problems with Action Script - you just need to have people around you who know what they are doing ;)

Jobs has been an amazing driver. I am impressed he has been able to also drive the esthetically design not something many American companies have done too well. Also their entranc. into retail and how successful that has been is impressive. The service at the store I got to is really good.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Right. I'm sure the MILLIONS of websites that use Flash will jump right on this. :rofl:
Of course they wont jump right on this... But as companies start to update their sites, they will have a new software option... and they will choose the software that runs on the larger cross section of devices used today and that takes the least amount of work from the consumer in order for it to work properly.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We are still doing tons of Flash. A lot of business site are only live for a short time. So what happens in a couple of years is really not relevant. That said we have also done some really nice work in HTML5.

That said HTML5 is not really a consistent technology and has tons of limitations.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We are still doing tons of Flash. A lot of business site are only live for a short time. So what happens in a couple of years is really not relevant. That said we have also done some really nice work in HTML5.

That said HTML5 is not really a consistent technology and has tons of limitations.
considering how long it took to just standardize and implement html5 (thanks wc3), html coding is going to be playing catch up to flash for a while.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002

We've only just started playing with it, so far have found it extremely useful for creating mobile sites. Some of our developers love it, some are freaked out by it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We've only just started playing with it, so far have found it extremely useful for creating mobile sites. Some of our developers love it, some are freaked out by it.
I think that is the point. Its great for mobile where you want simple fast loading sites and the screens do not work well with rich media sites.

This the most recent full HTML5 site we made:

http://www.mtviggy.com/

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I think that is the point. Its great for mobile where you want simple fast loading sites and the screens do not work well with rich media sites.

This the most recent full HTML5 site we made:
Works well in that application. And I anticipate seeing more and more of it. I call them "pad friendly" layouts.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Sounds to me like flash 1999-2006 (when I finally said no more!)

But cool to see you're getting to apply some of the newer tech. I assume you guys are pushing the tech, not the org.

I took a look at the markup and saw:

- This: https://btg.mtvnservices.com/aria/coda.html?site=mtviggy.com
Looks like some pretty hard core reporting going on there :)

- Interesting to see you're running this on wp self hosted. Are you guys WP VIP?

- Also saw html5shiv - hadn't heard of it before. At first glance it looks a bit like modernizr.

So, what's your role? Design, front-end, back-end?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sounds to me like flash 1999-2006 (when I finally said no more!)

But cool to see you're getting to apply some of the newer tech. I assume you guys are pushing the tech, not the org.

I took a look at the markup and saw:

- This: https://btg.mtvnservices.com/aria/coda.html?site=mtviggy.com
Looks like some pretty hard core reporting going on there :)

- Interesting to see you're running this on wp self hosted. Are you guys WP VIP?

- Also saw html5shiv - hadn't heard of it before. At first glance it looks a bit like modernizr.

So, what's your role? Design, front-end, back-end?
I am the COO at the office so have had not technical involvement in that project.