Quantcast

Steve Peat arrested

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
British rider Steve Peat, who won the first MTB Downhill World Cup round in Vigo, Spain, last Sunday, was arrested in that same city on the very same evening for vandalism on public property. Also arrested was Lee Bertrand, also a British MTB rider, as well as an unnamed 38 year-old woman of the same nationality and an unnamed 22 year-old Spaniard.

Local police intervened as the four reportedly caused damage to municipal property such as flowerbed supports in a drunken state, also smashing glass windows of a parking lot before climbing on top of parked cars, also causing damage. A witness has already recognized Steve Peat as one of the vandals, which are currently still under arrest. An expedited trial is expected soon.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
I love peaty, Maybe one day we'll all be so lucky as to get arrested in Spain after winning a world cup race!!!!
Peaty for President!!!!! :thumb:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I now have no respect for him. He's an awesome rider, but I think there's more to it than that. He needs to go to AA( ;) ). Now, for John Kircaldie(sp?), that guy rocks! :thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I hope he sees the error in his ways, and learns self-forgiveness.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
everyone makes mistakes... its just that some people make more than others. Preventing them can be helpful

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
damn hooligans. I bet they watched a football match on the telly after the game.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ridemonkey said:
Sweet. Way to represent.
Eh...no worse than other athletes...jeebus kryst...everytime you turn around a Raider is getting arrested for one thing or another...look at that brawl at that basketball game...look at Mike Tyson...look at Barry Bonds and all those other tools hopped up on steroids...granted what they did is kinda dick, but still...not that bad...everyone knows Peat's a partier...I remember meeting him at the Sea Otter one year...I was like DUDE...you're my IDOL...you party like a rockstar and STILL kick ass! ha!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Thursday 5th May 2005

Steve Peat was "framed", say Orange

A story on cyclingnews.com - and followed up by other websites - reported that DHer Steve Peat was alleged to have caused criminal damage in Spain following his World Cup win at the weekend. Orange, Peat's bike sponsor, refutes the allegation, saying Peat was fingered in error.

"Steve was released without charge on Tuesday morning," said Michael Bonney, Orange's communication manager.

"Evidently someone claimed he'd been involved and [he] was arrested based upon that 'evidence'. It's nice to see tabloid journalism has arrived in mountain biking and how fast folk are to adopt the guilty until proved innocent attitude it brings. Not."

"We knew about it Monday but also knew the circumstances behind it. Unfortunately it's not all good publicity, the rags and websites were quick to portray Steve as a vandal and guilty but I don't think they'll be as quick to offer a retraction."

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
dh girlie said:
Eh...no worse than other athletes...jeebus kryst...everytime you turn around a Raider is getting arrested for one thing or another...look at that brawl at that basketball game...look at Mike Tyson...look at Barry Bonds and all those other tools hopped up on steroids...granted what they did is kinda dick, but still...not that bad...everyone knows Peat's a partier...I remember meeting him at the Sea Otter one year...I was like DUDE...you're my IDOL...you party like a rockstar and STILL kick ass! ha!
Always blaming the Raiders :think:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I read in another report that Peat and an escaped chimpanzee attacked this guy and his wife at a private animal preserve, biting off all the dude's digits and his widget. Steve was reportedly howling drunk, wearing a loincloth, and had to be coaxed down from a nearby tree following the brutal attack by police wielding a banana and a pint o' bitter. His manager could not be reached for comment but "sources close to the situation" maintained that it was positively not Peaty who delivered the penis-beheading bite.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Peat in the clear

Despite being arrested under suspicion of vandalism after winning the Downhill World Cup in Spain on the weekend, British rider Steve Peat has been released, according to his team Orange. "Evidently someone claimed he'd been involved and [he] was arrested based upon that 'evidence'," said Michael Bonney, Orange's communication manager, to bikebiz.co.uk. "Steve was released without charge on Tuesday morning." There were three other people arrested at the time who were also released without charge.

In a statement on team's website, Peat said, "I haven't done anything, it was horrible being in the cells without anyone telling me what was happening...It was the other people in the street that caused the damage. I didn't see anything. Now I'm free. I apologise, and feel bad for the mountain bike organization because this is not the image we want to project of mountain biking."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2005/may05/may06news1

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
Damn, that's crazy! They were probably drunk on Spainish or Portugesse beer. When I was over there it made me feel a little crazier than normal...the beer gives a different buzz, I loved it. My favs. Voll Damm, Sagres, and Superbock. :drool:

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I heard one time he quit drinking and his head just wasn't in the right place............I just think it is great he is back on track. P.S. I heard Nelly and Lavron James were with him at the time.