Quantcast

Steve Peat signs with The Syndicate for 5 more years

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Haha, even the Syndicate gets a laugh on Ratboys slang:
"This year's gonna be banging," said Bryceland, who is currently out training in California. He then added something about "loving it", "getting rad" and "being focused"... we think.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I reeeeeeaaaaaaalllly tried hard not to do this, but................................

I heard he only signed a LOI.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Fantastic. When I heard he had "an announcement" I was afraid he was going to announce that he was going to retire or "focus on enduro"...

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
We need legends, but......

Steve isn't getting faster. I'd like to see him transition into team management more and all that Syndicate money could be spent on younger riders who need the support.

Peaty's been an inspiration to pretty much anyone who's ever pointed a bike down a hill, he's achieved all his goals surely?

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802

Steve isn't getting faster. I'd like to see him transition into team management more and all that Syndicate money could be spent on younger riders who need the support.

Peaty's been an inspiration to pretty much anyone who's ever pointed a bike down a hill, he's achieved all his goals surely?
Could not disagree with you more. Like Cedric it's not about speed it's about an icon of DH racing still giving the fans a show. It'll be a sad day when he truly retires.

As for freeing up $$, this is business not charity and Peaty's worth every dime. Good luck
Finding anyone who done more to support rising talent than he has (Beaumont, Fairclough, Bryceland...SPS).

Unapologetic Peaty fanboi, 17 years and counting.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory

The purpose of the team is to promote the brand, and he's still tip of the tongue, high profile enough to captain a team so he does!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

40 year olds ride DH too AND they have the disposable income to drop on a $10,000 carbon V10.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I think the fact that he's a top ten rider with a few podiums a year doesn't hurt either.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I think a sense of honouring the years Peaty has given Santacruz is awesome, and I cant imagine that anyone seriously thinks that him still being on the scene and racing is bad for younger riders.
And honestly, should a young rider be looking at a professional career and think that if they ride well, get positive coverage and conduct themselves well they will be thrown on the scrapheap as soon as some young punk starts setting times similar to them in a quest for new, exciting riders?
Well done Peaty and Santacruz.

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
I think a sense of honouring the years Peaty has given Santacruz is awesome, and I cant imagine that anyone seriously thinks that him still being on the scene and racing is bad for younger riders.
And honestly, should a young rider be looking at a professional career and think that if they ride well, get positive coverage and conduct themselves well they will be thrown on the scrapheap as soon as some young punk starts setting times similar to them in a quest for new, exciting riders?
Well done Peaty and Santacruz.
I couldnt agree more with this sentiment. Showing that racing your bicycle and being a stand-up guy and ambassador for the sport is not merely a flash-in-the-pan-you'll-never-make-enough-to-retire, but can, when the stars align, be a career beyond your mid 20s is an outstanding example for youngins to aspire to. Consistency and loyalty are things I appreciate in this crazy ****ed up world.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Am I the only one who still sees him as a top contender and will be in no way surprised to see him on more podiums? Didn't he spend most of the last season with a broken hand?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Could not disagree with you more. Like Cedric it's not about speed it's about an icon of DH racing still giving the fans a show. It'll be a sad day when he truly retires.

As for freeing up $$, this is business not charity and Peaty's worth every dime. Good luck
Finding anyone who done more to support rising talent than he has (Beaumont, Fairclough, Bryceland...SPS).

This.
And he runs the Steve Peat Syndicate.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

how can anyone hate on steve peat?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

This.
And he runs the Steve Peat Syndicate.
I don't really like Peat's persona, but still, you have to realize and recognize what he's done (and continues to do) for the sport. Plus, like CG, he's a marketing machine. As long as he wants to race, Santa Cruz would be stupid to try and replace him...

p.s. to be clear, I don't know Peat and I've never met him, and I can't say that I don't like him personally (not that it matters to anyone let alone him). I'm just saying the persona he has cultivated doesn't really do it for me. But I'm not hating on him...

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
He's a pioneer in DH, he's been at or near the top of the sport for 20 years, he makes a good living traveling the world riding bikes, he's raising a family, he does a good job repping his brands, and he seems to have a lot of fun. That's a personality I will gladly support.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Word...Hell, I've been continually breaking my nose and walking around in platform shoes so I can hopefully become his doppleganger and take over his life. I've even been drinking Stellas to really sell the image. My accent still needs a little work, and I'm a little concerned Rob and SCB guys would detect a minor drop off in race results (i.e. DFL by 3 or so minutes), but I'm still hopeful.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
See, thats what I was thinking. Albeit, some might be suspicious of such a sudden and precipitous drop off in skill level (i.e. like CX walking selected sections of Val Di Sole), its not uncommon to see late 30-something athletes really fall off the back quickly. Plus, it would demonstrate that Steve Peat is most certainly not taking career extending PEDs (presuming of course that grilled donuts are not considered "peformance enhancing")

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
^^

Word...Hell, I've been continually breaking my nose and walking around in platform shoes so I can hopefully become his doppleganger and take over his life. I've even been drinking Stellas to really sell the image. My accent still needs a little work, and I'm a little concerned Rob and SCB guys would detect a minor drop off in race results (i.e. DFL by 3 or so minutes), but I'm still hopeful.
Got a broken nose yet? Come on, show some commitment!!

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I think maybe that's my biggest issue with him. how can someone from Britain consider that swill beer?!?!

:D
Because it's just lager.

Budweiser was the top selling beer in Canada in 2004, ahead of Canadian and Labatt Blue.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Because it's just lager.

Budweiser was the top selling beer in Canada in 2004, ahead of Canadian and Labatt Blue.
And Justin Beiber sold more albums than the Eels. what's your point?

Also, There are some great lagers, and any true beer aficiando can appreciate more than a sour ale.

Also also, Congrats to Steve and SCB for another 5 years. Regardless of 'results' (which are still decent), he brings a lot more to the table in terms of exposure.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I think the fact that he's a top ten rider with a few podiums a year doesn't hurt either.
obviously nothing against peaty but he's only had four top 10 finishes (2 of those were podiums) in the last three seasons.

Am I the only one who still sees him as a top contender and will be in no way surprised to see him on more podiums? Didn't he spend most of the last season with a broken hand?
based on the last 3 seasons i don't think we'll be seeing peaty on the box much, if at all. will i still be as pumped to watch his race runs and whatever videos (sorry, edits :rolleyes:) he shows up in as much as any other rider? yessir.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Am I the only one who still sees him as a top contender and will be in no way surprised to see him on more podiums?
Yes, you are. (at least the only one brave enough to say it outright)

Steve Peat is a legend, but his time as a regular Top-5 contender has passed.

Not knockin' the guy, because I too am a fan, and agree that his value proposition transcends race results on Sundays, but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Yes, you are. (at least the only one brave enough to say it outright)

Steve Peat is a legend, but his time as a regular Top-5 contender has passed.

Not knockin' the guy, because I too am a fan, and agree that his value proposition transcends race results on Sundays, but it is what it is.
I remember seeing him very fast on the World Champs, he could have taken it. I wouldn't want to bet against him.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Look at his race runs. He's been on pace and had crashes or injuries. I'm pretty sure he spent the past season with a broken hand. I think he's still got it in him.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Always fun to watch and seems like one of the coolest dudes in the sport. I was never the best at sketching up real faces but I coincidentally drew this up a few days ago. My little tribute to Sheffield Steel.

Run to the Hills!
peaty.JPG