Quantcast

Steve Smith???

LAP

Chimp
Mar 5, 2016
Its fucking sad. Devinci are from my hometown and it was such an honor to have him riding for the brand. He seemed like a truly good guy.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I felt this way when McGazza died. Yes, they went out doing what they loved, but they had so much more to give. Selfishly, they had so much more to show the mountain bike world. Stevie was getting back at full WC pace, who knows how many years he could have had competing for podiums? Definitely more than he got for sure. Personally they had so much more to experience, things that every person should get to feel. Smith is a little younger than I am, there are things I felt at 27 that I feel differently about at 30 - and he won't get to feel that change in maturity, to get married, to enjoy feeling his life gradually shift.

RIP Stevie Smith, definitively one of the finest riders to ever grace our sport. I wish he'd had the chance to grow up and to keep on experiencing life, he deserved to.

When Prince and Bowie died I was heartbroken for them and the ones they left behind, but they truly lived. I hope people like Smith, McGarry and Mirra know how much they meant to people and that they left a mark on the world.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008

Chasing the green light for the overall. I hope his family and friends can take some solace in the thought of the legacy of the vast number of people he's inspired. RIP.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
His section in Seasons says it all. Kid just wanted ride his bike, and truly enjoyed being a pro mountain bike racer. Fucking heartbreaking.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Woke up this morning and Steve was the first thing I thought about...kinda weird.

Watching the World Cups and Crankworx won't be the same.

Tonight I will ride extra hard for him.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I feel so sad. it's like I watched him grow up ever since Seasons. It's been truly amazing to see his development, drive, work ethic, and good nature. It seems so implausible that he's no longer with us. fuck. it feels so weird to be so upset about losing someone I've never met.

as for pictures, I downloaded a bunch back in the day, mainly from pinkbike, for my screen-saver apologies to the photographers for posting , but I think it's ok given the situation? My favourite is his whip in the blue and yellow TLD kit when he's riding the Evil.... I think it was at the US Open. such style, so winning, much nice.

I'll miss you Stevie.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
does anyone remember Drop In? i used to love watching that series and thinking about how cool it would be to be on the bus traveling to cool locations and meeting the best local riders to have as trail guides. stevie was just a wee little kid when he was featured as one of those local riders. i always wondered which of these talented kids would make it or what they would do. in some ways i feel like i discovered him because i was lucky enough to see him grow up online and do some great things. all of the deaths this year have been great losses but this one hits closer to home for me. he will be sorely missed. thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. :-(.......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Remember Drop In or sure... don't remember the episode w/ Stevie. Have a link?

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
we probably could've been friends, we share so many mutual acquaintances and friends that it's about 1 degree of separation in a couple hundred different directions...the mountain bike world is mourning, the sea to sky/bc mountain bike community is crushed, I have no doubt his legacy and passion will live on in all those he inspired, especially the kids whom he regularly stoked up and took time for...huge loss

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Re: Drop In. I don't have a link. I have them on DVD so I'd have to look it up. It was either season 2 or 3 and he was in only one episode since he was one of the local riders. They were sessioning some dirt jumps out in the woods and a couple of the guys got stung by bees.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I remember watching a video of him during the winter months and he just got on with it because he loved it so much. Also in that video was him unloading a MX without a ramp like a boss. Anyone have a link that video?

Last edited:

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
Shitty ass news! Quick story on how cool he was. We were at one of the early US open's sitting around the hotel pool talking about who qualified where and we ask this young kid how he did and he says 1st (or maybe it was 2nd)....it was Steve....he was super humble about it.....great guy!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
An absolute legend.
I love how he talks about his mum getting faster on the shuttle drive "dodging the potholes" as he got faster on the downhill. It's a sad time but I think it's truly inspirational that he's lived pretty much ever day since age 2 doing exactly what he wanted and exactly what he loved.

In that sense, he's lived a longer life than many of us could ever imagine.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
One of my favorite videos of him @ Whistler. Stevie was on fire this year (2012?) at Crankworx. So many good parts of this vid, from the nonchalance of him destroying Schleyer, to the no-hander on the Duane Johnson drop, to entrance to lower A-Line... to the sending of the the last A-line jump.... deeeep. More than makes up for the poor audio quality. Plus Sik Mik was "on" as well.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/features/ONE-LAP-Mick-Hannah-Stevie-Smith-Slay-Schleyer-at-Whistler,14936/sspomer,2

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I mostly feel for his mom. Super committed.

Hope she is able to find some peace and celebrate the fact that she enabled him to see the world and live an absolute dream.