Quantcast

Stevens Pass Bike Park in WA State needs your help!

Instinct

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
Snoqualmie WA
This was originally posted to the Pacific NorthWest forum here on Ridemonkey, so my apologies if this is duplicate for some people, but I believe this issue is of concern to people beyond just the PNW. The same way people come from all over the world to visit Whistler, in the not too distant future, Steven's Pass here near Seattle in WA state may soon hold a similar draw to freeriders, racers and their friends and families far and wide.

So here's the deal:

The US Forest Service is requesting public comments concerning the Master Development Plan for Stevens pass, a big part of which is the proposed Mountain Bike Park. The period for comments is only open for 30 days starting June 3rd 2008.

The reasons I'm bringing it to people's attention here is to point out how important it is that the MTB community's voice is heard in support of these plans for public land use.

Last week at the DNR meeting in Issaquah, a lady named Fran with the Mountaineers club approached me about Steven's Pass Bike Park (SPBP) plans to let me know that there is already some vocal and influential opposition to the bike park in certain groups such as the Sierra Club and other eco-centered organizations. While Fran's organization certainly has environmental concerns with development in wilderness areas, their point of view was that with a very high quality place for mountain biking, like the SPBP, there would be a reduction in illegal trail building which is a growing concern in Washinton State as the rate at which the community of riders is expanding is disproportionate to the number of places we have to ride.

By creating legal freeriding and downhill moutain bike areas that can serve larger volumes of riders, the pressure on more sensitive areas can be reduced and concerns of liability can be managed. This opinion is consistent with my organization's, the Dirt Corps view and forms the basis for the message we are communicating to the DNR with the situation we currently face at the Snoqualmie Ridge trails. Legal, fun and managed mountain bike areas are a win-win-win situation for the riding community, land managers, and other use groups. And if Whistler is any indication, there are also many commercial benefits to be realized.

Back to the issue at hand though, we need to communicate this message to other organizations like the Forest Service and the opponents of the SPBP because I don't think people realize how large and passionate the mountain bike community has become and when we speak as a group we must be heard.

My advice to those who want to get involved in the process, is to write to the Forest Service and where possible attending meetings like the one coming up this week in Snohomish. Now is the time for comment and public involvement. I can't overstate the significance of the SPBP and the potential it has to us a racers, freeriders and consumers looking for more cost effective options to Whistler. But suffice to say that Steven's Pass, with the help of Whistler Bike Park pioneers, Gravity Logic, are prepared to build a world class venue and that is something to get excited about!

So I'm passing along the word and calling for action. Talk to people about this. Ask questions and get involved.

The Dirt Corps and our friends who live around here will be attending the meetings being organized to get public comment, and I ask those of you who can't attend to write or call the Forest Service so your voice is heard too. I think it will potential be a far more powerful message when it comes from people all accross the world. And lets face it. World class trails will always attract people from far away.

I encourage you furst to read the information regarding the plans available here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/projects/stevens-pass-mdp/index.shtml

The time for comment is over by July 3rd, so we need to act now.

Regards,

Matt Patterson