Quantcast

STI levers

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
By pushing up or down on the brake lever the gears shift according to the type of rear derailleur you have.

They are definately not lame in my opinion.

I find them to work really well in pretty much all situations. I have not had any issues with shifting inadvertantly while braking. It did take awhile to get use to which way to shift but I don't think that had so much to do with the rapid rise derailleur as it did just being a completely different way to shift. They have also proven to be pretty durable. Both levers have taken a couple of decent shots with nothing more than some surface scratches. They are on my Heckler that gets used for pretty much everything.

Are they better than the old rapid fires..... I do like the rapid rise derailleur. I never could get used to one with the old shifters but with the new levers it wasn't an issue. They hold adjustment as well as the rapid fires. Even thought they are more exposed the durability seems to make up for that. I would go with the dual control levers over the rapid fires. The one area I'm not sure about is in DH. I think that if I was to run them I would probably leave the thumb shifter on.

The XTR brakes work really well as well. I have been using one resin pad and one metal pad (at a Shimano Tech guy's suggestion) that seems to work pretty well. Don't know how they work with v-brakes.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
They're going tto be on my next bike. Top Fuel 110. It would be quite costly to change to SRAM...besides, I ridden around in the parking lot on Dual Control stuff and didn't think it was bad...just different.

phil

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
i have a set of hydrolic xt for sale bran new never used
front and rear lever
rear deraileur

$150.00 for all