Quantcast

Sticky clutch on SRAM X0/X9 rear derailleur

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the only quasi-informative info i've found is http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2013/08/sram-type-2-overhaul?page=2

but since this isn't even 2yrs old, can i expect to need to rebuild/relube this every ~20 mos?

is there any other preventative maint i can do, or a heavier/thicker lube that's compatible? i'm in CO, where it's very dry, and i never ride in any rain when it does come.

anyone else have this? it's pretty annoying to have to wait 3revs+ for my shifting into smaller cog on an otherwise stellar drivetrain.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
update: i tried to spray in some lube while manipulating it, hoping it would sink in. the fact that it appears to have worked for the last couple rides is actually troubling. i would like for it to be sealed from these type shenanigans, but alas...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I took both of my Sram Clutch derailleurs apart recently, cleaned and re-greased them and they've been better than new ever since. It only takes 15-20 mins to take it apart, clean and re-grease so I don't consider it that big a deal. I used some Phil Wood bearing grease and it's been great. I actually noticed stiction in my derailleur because of the chain growth when my suspension was compressing. I could feel a slight "notch" in the suspension, I thought it was in the shock but upon closer inspection it was the chain growth trying to overcome the friction of the clutch.