Quantcast

Sticky Fox 40?

mtb-sam

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
East, TN
Hey, So i am in the process of building up a Transition blindside. I currently just have the frame, fork and wheels. Now i understand some forks require a break in period to reach full potential. But just cycling through the travel on the 2010 40 it feels very sticky....not a very smooth plush sound...more like a dry sound. Do i just need to ride the fork for it to break in and become more plush? Or should i tear in the fork and check the oil levels and lube the seals? Does anybody have any experience with their 40 being sticky when new?

Just wondering about this because the bike is sitting here next to me and im not really sure if the 40 should feel like this right of the box. I have a rock shox lyrik solo air and it feels much more smoother along with my coil pike.

any input appreciated!
thanks-
sam

bismojo

Monkey
May 5, 2009
maybe you can try moving the bike upside down for a while (for the fork oil to go into the foam between seal/bushing) and cycle the fork again.. good luck.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Always check bushing oil levels and grease the seals of new forks....

As much as you should not have to do this, all forks are mass produced, and people make mistakes (especially ones doing monotonous low wage work).

IMO $1000 - 1500 is not worth gambling with for 10 min of work...

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
The bushings on the new 40's are much tighter than previous years and require about 15 runs or so to start to feel smooth. The upside is they shouldn't have the oil leaking issues of previous model years with the tighter tolerances. My 09's felt like poo for the first little while but broke in nicely. An oil change after the break in period and you should be good to go. I've also started turning my bike upside down while putting my gear on before I ride to let the oil get in there and keep things smooth. Enjoy 'em, they're a great fork.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
My 40's were always sticky unfortunately.

Its still worth dropping the lowers, fresh oil, soaking the foam rings & greasing the dust seals though.

As already said, it's a 10 minute job :)

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
try storing it upside down also, helps get the oil up on the seals and upper bushings and lubricating them.....

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
my buddy's new 2010 40 had the same issues too. after a few hard runs and also relubing the wipers and seals, it feels 100x better

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
The last three Fox 40 units that passed over our counter in the shop were more or less bone dry in the outers.

Check it!