Quantcast

Stiff Boxxer Wc (air Side)

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
hey guys I really need some help I had my boxxer apart yesturday changing oils, I usually just change out the bottom legs and relube the seals, but decided to refreshen the 6ml oil in the air side... so I took the cap off dumped what oil was in there and put fresh stuff in...

Soo after I put it back together and pumped it back up my fork is alot stiffer then it was before. Can anybody give me ideas of what could be wrong here and how I can go about getting it back to normal... it was reallly plush before at like 120 psi, but now at even 100 psi it feels ALOT stiffer

Last edited:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
probably your negative air spring not equalizing. i dont know too much on how it works, so hopefully some boxxer guru's will chime in shortly.

oh yea, did you burp the lowers before you put it back together? makes a huge difference.

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
yes I burped them, im thinking it might have something to do with me taking the air cap off which i've never done before and it always worked perfect when I just changed the oil in the lowers out

another question should I pull the fork back to top out, after letting air out of the lowers, when theres no air in the air side before pumping it up again?

Last edited:

xemini

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
update. So I messed around with it more, either it was in my head from not riding all winter or I fixed it , thanks anyways guys

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm pretty sure those chambers just had to equalise like I said in my PM, you probably just didn't manage to make it happen earlier.

Basically, when you pump up the fork (from empty), the air only enters the positive chamber... it will keep filling the positive chamber until the fork gets forced to topout, at which point, a valve opens that allows air to spill into the negative chamber. This should happen automatically as the pressure reaches ~100psi but it doesn't always, and you usually have to top it out fairly forceully with your hand to make it happen manually.

When the negative spring doesn't have any/much pressure in it, the fork will feel very stiff and hard to get moving like you described, nothing else can cause that feeling really (assuming obvious things like the damper isn't locked out).

Anyway good to hear it's alright.