Quantcast

Stiffening a Single Pivot's Rear

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I was just looking at the Ventana Chamuco, a 6" single pivot and I noticed the extra link thing on the swingarm that attached to the seat tube. That made me curious;

1.) Does it do anything?
2.) Why can't I put something like that on my Heckler to lessen cross-loading (so I could consider running a 5th E Air if I wanted)

:confused:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Tame Ape
So what about an after market 'strap-on'?
Hey this is a family site.

Actually, look at the chamuco and how the link bolts on to the seat tube. Call ventana and tell SG you want your heckler to ride like a ventana and ask if he would make one for you. Tell him you really want a ventana but can't afford it, but you'll put his stickers on your bike if he'll make you one. PUSH does that with other peoples shocks and mongoose does it with other people's bikes......why not?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by zedro
what about getting a frame thats designed around the stiffness you need.
hrmmm, you mean build my own?

I can't really do that with tools, ritalin and a sense of engineering. I mentioned the Chamuco because that brace is an add on of some sort. Besides my Heckler is the first dualie I've ever owned and everyone said it was a stiff one. I figure, you put an extra 'brace' on the swing arm at the shock mount and another on the seat tube....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by kidwoo
Yes they make single pivots stiffer and take sideload off of shocks.

You can also play with progressiveness of shock stroke by allowing more mount locations. Look at all the foes bikes. They gots 'em.
Yes. Sideloading of shocks and a stiff frame is a big deal (to me).

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Originally posted by kidwoo
That's his secret!!

I know it was mine when I was in engineering school. Focus focus focus
I think the spoonful of instant coffee and sweet-n-low I just ate is making me shake...