Quantcast

*** still no frost ***

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Plumber finally started working in the basement so I can get the heating system to work. I have been heating the whole house with our wood burning stove since Thursday.

Still jet lagged. Normally takes a week to get over it.

My long ride turned into a short ride but better than no ride.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hello frens

slept poorly. didn't get my workout in. gotta try and juggle work so I can get home for a spin.

Think I'm going to trade the alfa in for a CX5. Even at MSRP my trade is overvalued enough to make it worth it. Can anyone, perhaps in a PM, help explain leasing to me though? I am a perfect candidate (sub 10k miles, need a newer car that won't explode) but every time I run the numbers, the lease payments come out to be the same, with a bunch of money down, and then after three years I have no car. I'd rather pay a similar amount and have a car...I don't get it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
oooof.....my ears....thanks nothing...

20211017_225644.jpg

great show....sparsely attended....mabe because idles was playing the first of 2 nights near by....

on the hunt for sourdough french toast....

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
hello frens

slept poorly. didn't get my workout in. gotta try and juggle work so I can get home for a spin.

Think I'm going to trade the alfa in for a CX5. Even at MSRP my trade is overvalued enough to make it worth it. Can anyone, perhaps in a PM, help explain leasing to me though? I am a perfect candidate (sub 10k miles, need a newer car that won't explode) but every time I run the numbers, the lease payments come out to be the same, with a bunch of money down, and then after three years I have no car. I'd rather pay a similar amount and have a car...I don't get it.
Buy instead of lease?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Buy instead of lease?
That's what I intend on doing...I just don't really "get" leasing and i'm trying to figure out what I'm missing, if anything. It seems like a great way to stay in a new car, but you either pay more for more options or you finagle a cheap deal on a stripper....and at the end you have no car or money anyways. If I buy, I'd have equity and a car too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
explain leasing
A properly structured lease will be equal in cost to owning the car over the same period.

Residual value specified by the lease should equal the residual value at the end of term (duh). If the car ends up worth more than residual then buy it at residual and voila you got free equity. If it’s worth less then don’t buy it and it’s not your problem

Finance charges should be comparable. Iirc multiply the money factor by 2400 to compare to yearly interest rates, noting usually higher rates but you’re only financing part of the total value.

So if your plan was to buy new then hold for 3 years then the right lease will put you in the same place financially 3 years from now.
Got up early, ran 10 miles,
wat

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Still no frost up north either. Seems we'll go straight from summer to winter.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Taking today off work with plan to study.

Just dropped Hannah off at school and overheard an interesting conversation.

School director (assumingly with owners): Three people are out sick. We cannot accept any more children today. [Pause] Right, but kids are still getting dropped off. I cannot accept any more kids today. I need people here now whether it's you or from the other school. I have to start turning parents away.

Hannah's teachers were juggling who were taking kids of what ages to reach their max kids per room/teacher balance point when I got there. Sadly this is one of the few and best pre-k down schools in the area, so we don't have a lot of options here. Guess we're going to have to start getting Hannah to school earlier to make sure we get a spot...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
hey, my Land Cruiser is actually turning out to be quite the good investment! probably appreciated a solid 66% since I bought it for the second time
With that dent in the sidestep it clearly hasn't been taken care of. I'll give you tree fiddy.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That's what I intend on doing...I just don't really "get" leasing and i'm trying to figure out what I'm missing, if anything. It seems like a great way to stay in a new car, but you either pay more for more options or you finagle a cheap deal on a stripper....and at the end you have no car or money anyways. If I buy, I'd have equity and a car too.
But all the new wizzbangs will begin to fail as soon as you pay it off because of planned obsolescence. If you lease, this isn't an issue.

We bought the wife's first CRV as a lease return. Drove it 3 years and got about what we paid on trade for her shinny new '21. See how long the '21 holds up though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
is joe mulching the homeless in dc....did not see any near the black cat nor st the old 930 club location....none on constitution....

weird...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Leasing works really good for expensive european sedans and SUVs that are going to have major repair issues just over 3 years down the road. It also creates more value for the dealer, as they can be getting paid for essentially renting the car, then expecting the owner to turn it in and lease the next new flashy model, so they can sell the previous car, almost like they get to sell it twice. Also, your depreciation on something like an M550i is huge in 3 years, as in you'll be "losing" 30K or more easily, so people lease with the idea that they aren't going to lose this depreciation amount, assuming again they are going to turn around and trade it in after a few years.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wifey is currently on a rampage because her mom spends more time hanging out with and helping her friend than she does her own daughter and granddaughter. She's not wrong.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
In a car?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
My alfa has depreciated about 8 grand in the current market, and I've owned it for 3 years. I paid $222 a month to own the car. If i had leased it, I would have been paying a minimum of $350 with $5000 down. Then I would have nothing at the end of the lease. So, I paid less per month to "rent" the car. Lots of the CX5s that I'm looking at are selling for close to new values after 3 years of use. Yes, the value drops, but you still have whatever there is.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hey, my Land Cruiser is actually turning out to be quite the good investment! probably appreciated a solid 66% since I bought it for the second time
thank cash for clunkers for that.....