Quantcast

Stinkbike 2.0 resurrection

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I thought it would be fitting since this is the week that we lost stink in 2017

After some offline and forum discussion with @binary visions @jdcamb @jimmydean @jonKranked @scrublover @stoney @dump @Nick @johnbryanpeters and a few others it was apparent that there was an eagerness to bring back the bike builds In honor of the late, great, Stinkyboy

I thought I would resurrect the bike build cause since I have the time and mechanical abilities being retired and am now in a place and time that was feasible.

The backstory

For those of you whom didn’t know the cantankerous Brian Wilson (Stinkyboy) he used to collect bike parts and donations from the members in order to build complete bikes and gift them to individuals. In Stinks tenure as the Santa bike meister, he was able to get out at least 9 bikes that we know of and more in his own endeavors off the forums.

The Idea

Since we are starting from a blank slate I think it would be prudent to discuss things such as recipient/candidate guidelines, industry donations/cooperation and even other whom wish to build a bike for the cause. There are enough mechanically inclined members and industry representatives in the forums that could possibly build their own bikes with gifted parts and contributions for the cause and we don’t necessarily have to do build for the holidays, I think we can gift them out as they get completed as a viable candidate/recipient has been voted and chosen. I will be willing to start off with the builds and get things rolling with the pace and broad strokes.

The legal stuff

With a sideline discussion with BV and covering the parent company and the forums, this needs to be stated, As most of you know I was in the non profit sector for some time and am willing to take on the organization and development of this project under the assumption it is known as a “good will” gesture and won’t be a registered “non profit”. With that being said I am going to be transparent with the inventories, contributions and reportable aspects of the endeavor on a quarterly basis in the threads and use the forums as a voting tool for the direction of the “cause” via RM members in order to keep it a joint venture and even share in the build aspects to keep the endeavor going inside RM regardless of the organizer.

The Plan

After Jan 1st we can start amassing and pooling parts, contributions and resources to get a bike started and create some momentum towards tuning a nomination and selection process for a recipient. Basic discussions can happen in the forums but for sensitive content such as emails, addresses and other contact info can be relayed through a gmail account I created for the sole purpose of sensitive information for shipping details as well as those whom wish to contribute financially to the cause as some may not have parts or mechanical abilities. rmstinkbike@gmail.com

I personally have the ability to accept payments via

Venmo
Paypal
Cashapp
Applepay
Zelle

For the most part it is going to be a very casual and fun endeavor with the hopes of the RM community giving back in stinkyboy style but with a bit more organization and forum participation in the long run and hopefully this will stick to a permanent part of RM and its members.

Pretty sure you all may have some questions, comments or concerns so we can use this thread to iron out the details and get some majority insight and approval before digging in. Fire away with the good, bad and ugly....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just gutted my parts bin for my local charity. I did also just drop off 3 kids bike too.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am currently having trouble getting parts. Hard parts like wheels and Shimano stuff. Maybe after the Holiday things will start to return to normal. I will keep you posted.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I do this myself, have built and donated five or six bikes over the last few years. I just like buying a few nice parts, building them up, and know I will never ride them. Good on you all, I do have a fairly significant parts bin, but I expect shipping will generally be prohibitive. If you ever get really stuck for 9 speed drivetrain bits, hit me up though, I seem to have a fair bit of that.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I do this myself, have built and donated five or six bikes over the last few years. I just like buying a few nice parts, building them up, and know I will never ride them. Good on you all, I do have a fairly significant parts bin, but I expect shipping will generally be prohibitive. If you ever get really stuck for 9 speed drivetrain bits, hit me up though, I seem to have a fair bit of that.
This can be an international/ regional
effort!

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Thanks for the heads up mang, I am going to use my prowess to hit up the industries for parts and pieces as well to supplement the good of the order.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
GT.jpg

I have a frame and fork. I just serviced it. The Eccentric not the fork. I will replace the seals on the fork (Talas RLC). It's a GT Idrive XCE. Not sure of the year or size. It seems to be a large. The Shock is a Cane Creek. It holds air and seems fine.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
View attachment 169828
I have a frame and fork. I just serviced it. The Eccentric not the fork. I will replace the seals on the fork (Talas RLC). It's a GT Idrive XCE. Not sure of the year or size. It seems to be a large. The Shock is a Cane Creek. It holds air and seems fine.

Do you want to build that one and call it #1 and have some parts sent to you or do you want me to build it? Either way is fine with me brudda, I have a feeling we will have a few builds going at the same time.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have a bunch of 8 and 9 spd cassettes, shifters, and derailleurs, SRAM all I think.

I will do some digging on a few other things. Definitely have some olden-day-width handlebars, maybe a few longer stems.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Do you want to build that one and call it #1 and have some parts sent to you or do you want me to build it? Either way is fine with me brudda, I have a feeling we will have a few builds going at the same time.
I have an upgrade build coming up next week. Waiting on the new parts. I will get back to you when the parts come in. Except for the Magura brakes (Just awful) I think most everything will transfer over to this bike, and it will be complete. When I have it built up, I will let you know. I have a candidate for a Bike in Buffalo. He's a good kid. 16y/o, gets good grades, has a job, volunteers at his Community Health Center. I will get a bio on him, and we can put it to vote. Shipping to the west coast would be expensive. I would rather take that expense and add better parts.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have an upgrade build coming up next week. Waiting on the new parts. I will get back to you when the parts come in. Except for the Magura brakes (Just awful) I think most everything will transfer over to this bike, and it will be complete. When I have it built up, I will let you know. I have a candidate for a Bike in Buffalo. He's a good kid. 16y/o, gets good grades, has a job, volunteers at his Community Health Center. I will get a bio on him, and we can put it to vote. Shipping to the west coast would be expensive. I would rather take that expense and add better parts.
Absolutely perfect, nice work man

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Absolutely perfect, nice work man
Brake.jpg

To truly make it a Stinky bike. I would like to get some Avid Levers (Old school like stinky). And utilize these. I like the idea that they are not hydros and they work excellent. Easy to service and setup. Old school XTR levers found. Hope rear hub with Stans rim found. Trying to get BB info.

Last edited:

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've got a non-boost 29er Lyrik 180mm a couple years old, but with upgraded air spring ibts. Downside is severely short steerer.

Brake adapters, some tires, some new/slightly used 11 speed SRAM and Sunrace shifty bits, maybe even a SRAM crank. A couple oddball stems and grips.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
View attachment 169831
To truly make it a Stinky bike. I would like to get some Avid Levers (Old school like stinky). And utilize these. I like the idea that they are not hydros and they work excellent. Easy to service and setup. Old school XTR levers found. Hope rear hub with Stans rim found. Trying to get BB info.
Save for a touring bike?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
When the Pike Solo Air RCT3/27.5” 160mm comes off the Tracer, would it be of use? Left stanchion was reported to have internal wear when I had it rebuilt last month, but I hadn't noticed any issues.
160mm of travel would exceed the amount of travel that could effectively be utilized by my frame. Maybe for another build.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
View attachment 169831
Need Levers still? Found two BB5 levers w/o road rash. Anodizing is worn at the touchpoints is about it.

20220110_113403.jpg

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We need drivetrain parts and a disk front wheel. Most of the drivetrain parts I was going to use are shit. I had to return the Stans wheel for a warranty. It was a POS anyways. Spokes pulling through the rim, and it was poorly built... Going to tear the fork apart sometime this week. Cane Creek may supply us some parts. Liegh from SRAM may help us out too. Calling out all the favors I am owed.