Quantcast

Stinky Dee-Lux woes - Go back to hardtail? rear shock lockout? HELP?

motobrandt

Chimp
Jul 7, 2004
Bellingham, WA
OK Here is the newbie F#@*k up and now I'm trying to rectify it. I went looking for a new bike after being out of riding for about 5yrs. I found a really great deal (I think...) on a '01 Kona Stinky Dee-Lux, you know the rasta paint job... Complete with a nice Sherman Flick SPV and seemingly good components all the way 'round. Everything is new including the frame, because Kona found this '01 in their warehouse so they sell it as new. Cool with me. I get a sweet DH bike for $1500.

So now I've had it for 6 weeks or so and I've been riding it all around just trying to get my legs back before I hit the trails and the damn rear-end is driving me nuts. I've never had a full suspension bike before and I hate it. On the rear is a Fox Vanilla R.

So the question is do I go back to a hard tail? I love the geometry of this bike so it would have to be a DJ like a Roast or something I think. Or can I just get a new rear shock with a lockout?

I'm thoroughly confused and severely frustrated. Sorry about the whining :nopity: I'm just trying to get some opinions as I'm sure I'm not the only one to deal with this.

THX

i'd switch to a stiffer spring, or a fancy shock, i rode that same bike for a while with a vanilla R and it didn't pedal too well, but i switched to a 600# spring ( i wieghed 180#) and it was great. if you do decide to go back to a hardtail, let me know, i'd love to take that frame off your hands, if the size is right.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
The right spring is crucial. Do this:

1. Back out the red knob to fully open the rebound dampning.
2. Loosen the spring on the shock body until it is just snug.
3. Measure the distance between the mounting bolts.
4. Sit on the bike and measure the distance again.
5. Tighten the spring up until the distance is between 15%- 25% of the shock stroke. You can read the stroke off of the spring (spring weight x shock stroke is printed on the spring, or look it up on the Kona website's tech info page. I think that shock is a 2" stroke, but don't quote me on that)
6. If you had to make more than three revolutions than you definately need a new spring. I like to be a little safer and eiser on the shock and limit it to two turns.
7. Now play with the rebound knob until it springs back like you like it.

Good luck!

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
TheMontashu said:
SPV shock in the back
But only if you really like to spend money. Some time spent adjusting a normal shock can do wonders without spending any money. I've never paid for a spring- good shops will let you trade them in if they're virtually new.

Rock, rock on.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, have someone who knows what he's doing (and this excludes most guys from the shop...there are some *real* mechanics out there, but there are a majority of people who just want to sell bikes) tune the suspension for you, including selecting the right spring rate, sag, and rebound setting.

Lockout isn't your answer for a lot of reasons, especially on a bike like that. In general, lockouts are an antiquated crutch for bad/old suspension design and technology, or a placebo for gram-shaving, efficiency-nazi XC racers.

You can also ship your shock to PUSH industries for a custom-tuning and upgrade that most people seem really happy with; it's around $150, from what I recall.

MD

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I have been a fs rider for a long time , riding konas for 5 years. Yes,get your shock set up by somone who knows what they are doing. when you are getting your legs back are you staying seated? on a fs bike you should never get out of the seat to pedal. it simply will give you the worst experience of your fs newbie life.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
You almost never get the correct spring with a frame, which to this day amazes me - bike companies could easily provide that service. But I digress. Most likely your spring is too soft. If, after getting the proper spring rate and setting up the sag/rebound, you still don't like the performance, you could get the shock customized by PUSH as mentioned earlier. However I don't know if you can get a Vanilla R PUSHed, they might only do Vanilla RC's?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
They'll do an R; it just doesn't get the full-works treatment that an RC would get.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
I wouldn't bother getting a R tuned, instead I'd save up and buy a RC with Propedal, 5th, or a Manitou. Everyone's got an opinion on this, but my experiance says to trust the RC the most.

Zilla

Chimp
Aug 20, 2004
Dreaming
I went from a fully rigin Cannondale M300 to an 03 Stinky with a Vanilla. I hated it at first too (it was difficult to even pedal it down the street), so now I pretty much have a different bike for whatever type of riding Im doing. The Vanilla on the Stinky is definately soft, I'm 140 lbs, and manage to bottom the rear shock out plenty on the stock spring. For xc it pretty much sucks when it comes to pedaling, but I usually take it out if the person Im riding with sucks even worse (that will get your legs into shape!) I've been riding that Stinky for 2 years now though, and I must say that for the money you can't beat it. You'll probably like it better once you realize how much sh... it can take in all types of conditions. Plus, once you get on the trails and get the preloading down you'll have an awesome time. But if you bought it for xc, you might consider a different bike, the Stinky is much better for Freeriding and DH. Give it some time...Good Luck!

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I have a Kona hardtail, I use it for everything Dh, DJ, DS, Street. i love it, I gots da 04 Stuff, it pedals great, and it handles everything, downhill is harder than with a downhill bike, but I ride it 5 days a week, and its great, you can still get some money for your Stinky if youve read this far, I think

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
offdawalley said:
I have a Kona hardtail, I use it for everything Dh, DJ, DS, Street. i love it, I gots da 04 Stuff, it pedals great, and it handles everything, downhill is harder than with a downhill bike, but I ride it 5 days a week, and its great, you can still get some money for your Stinky if youve read this far, I think
No **** it pedals well its a HARD TAIL!

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
i had a hardtail for a while and then switched to a full suspension and noticed a similar problem. i then went back to having a hardtail for most stuff and my downhill bike for trails and what not. i have a vp free and it just like all full suspensions dont pedal anywhere near as well as hardtails. so the question that you need to ask yourself is what kind of riding that you will be doing and can you do it on a hardtail.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Tashi said:
The right spring is crucial. Do this:

1. Back out the red knob to fully open the rebound dampning.
2. Loosen the spring on the shock body until it is just snug.
3. Measure the distance between the mounting bolts.
4. Sit on the bike and measure the distance again.
5. Tighten the spring up until the distance is between 15%- 25% of the shock stroke. You can read the stroke off of the spring (spring weight x shock stroke is printed on the spring, or look it up on the Kona website's tech info page. I think that shock is a 2" stroke, but don't quote me on that)
6. If you had to make more than three revolutions than you definately need a new spring. I like to be a little safer and eiser on the shock and limit it to two turns.
7. Now play with the rebound knob until it springs back like you like it.

Good luck!
This is top notch info. As opposed to the easy solution of replacing the shock, make sure the old one is tuned first. You didn't mention weight, and your shop can help you there as well.

Riding style is also important here. You have to ride smooth on a Stinky. Frankly if pedalling efficiency is your complaint, it might be more bike than you need. I have a Dawg, and it is a good XC frame.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I guess what I ment was that all hardtales pedal well and are good for everything if you want it to be, I'm sorry that I'm so stupid, so what I'm saying is that you might want to try a hardtale for a while, or possibly something with an air shock if you don't like the hardtale idea

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Why is there so much stupid advice on here after the solutions have been outlined??
1. Set up your current shock properly as outlined by Tashi, and ride it. If you like it, you're set. If it bobs too much or bottoms too easily (or doesn't use all the travel), then consider step 2.
2. Look into a Swinger or a 5th. Sell your existing shock to lessen the cost of a different rear shock. Something with platform valving will make a huge difference (that is, if you don't like your Vanilla R (which I didn't)).
PS
Ignore all the people that are telling you to ride a hardtail or get a different bike. Get what you have working properly. And IMO, it's not worth the money to PUSH your Vanilla R since that much money could get you a 5th or Swinger 4/6-Way instead (after subsidizing the cost with the sale of your Vanilla R).

nTek

Chimp
Jan 15, 2005
Yeah, the Stinky is not much of an XC bike. It's single pivot design can result in a lot of bob. But I wouldn't go for a lockout option (what is a purpose of having a FS bike when not using it's suspension, also it does harm to the bearings). I don't think you need very stiff spring, cause it would decrease the shock sensitivity (unless you are really bottoming it out, then go stiffier). Tune the shock right and if it still unsatisfies, then go for the manitou SPV or 5th or something like that...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Is the shock bottoming out over small drops or are you just not comfortable with the FS feel? I used to ride a titanium hardtail so the first time I bought a Stinky I felt like I was riding a 88 Cadillac with shot springs. Take it down a trail that is mainly downhill with some flat sections for pedaling and a few 3 foot drops and see if you still don't like it more than a hardtail. If FS just isn't for you there is many beefy hardtails like the Morphine that might be more to your liking. You could scrap your frame and keep the components and only lose a couple of hundred bucks in the whole deal....

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
merrrrjig said:
Your problem is that its a stinky deelux! Get a new good bike! Hey its my 200th post!
Now if only you could mix some quality in to that quantity.

Dh_Addict44

Chimp
Feb 15, 2005
I'd go back... hard tail pride.. if not then just switch to a stiffer spring or adjust ur compression.