Quantcast

stinky on a diet

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
okay, I admit this is a kinda lame thread, but I wanted some "constructive" feedback. I have an 07 stinky primo, pictured below and am looking to lose some weight on it.

As it stands with race wheels (deemax with Minion UST's) it is 43 lbs 13 oz. Not exactly light.

I have another set of wheels that I use for my daily stuff, and keep the deemax for races. The hugi, mavic combo with non ust Minions weighs the bike in at 44 lbs 12 oz. So about a pound in wheels. Good start.

I see all these super light bikes and know that the stinky is never gonna be down that light as that is not what it was designed for, but I am hoping to maybe get it to lose another pound or two.

I don't want to go crazy with ti springs or different fork etc, but was wondering what you would suggest.

Plans:

convert from double to single ring. Losing the shifter, derailleur, granny and bash ring should be worth some weight.

maybe move to a direct mount stem

possibly lighter saddle?

Am I being retarded? Should I just get in the gym and do some more deadlifts and forget about it?

Cheers.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
When you switch to a single ring, pick up a E-13 LG-1, they are less then half the weight of the SRS. To drop substantial weight off your rig is impossible without spending some cash. You could drop some weight buy running a a Thomson Elite X4 stem and a Easton Monkey light DH bar, Thomson seatpost, Fizik Gobi Ti saddle (220 grams and tough as nails), 6 inch rotor in the back, and grab some light tubes. All this will cost you over a grand. I say ride the **** out of your bike and when you bust something buy the gear you want.

Dec 11, 2007
i dunno man, you dont exactly have the lightest parts spec on that beast... the e13 lg1 will help. another thing is your cranks, stem and bars.... but i dunno its expensive to upgrade parts like that for a couple of grams... maybe u could just ride your bike as it is and look into something lighter in a couple years or something.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It would actually be fairly easy and not too expensive to shave some weight off that beast.

Cranks are a good start, those are heavy as hell. RaceFace Atlas or Hones would be decent, if you arne't a hucker.

Stem is a brick, get something lighter.

Your fork ian't a feather either, compared to the Boxxer World Cup.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
a shifter, der and chain ring together weight about a pound and that is centralized anyway.
wheels, forks and handlebars are where weight loss is most noticeable.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
the UST's are actually 1 oz lighter each than the non UST's. I am already tubeless too.

I guess at this point I will just see how much weight I lose when I go single ring. I have yet to lose the chain once so it hasn't been high on my list of priorities. Swapping out the stem is on the list too.

I think part of the reason I went with the stinky was the trails that it will see most of its time on. Living in Santa Barbara sees me riding rocks the majority of the time and I was concerned about how a 38 pound DH bike would hold up. Coming from a 56 pound Super 8, anything would be lighter.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
You're not being retarded, but you seem to have a pretty good spec on there so I would just leave it be and save yourself some green.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Ride the heck out of it and when something breaks replace it with a better/lighter one.

I like it the way it is.

mjones51

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
Mehoopany, PA
since when is 43# heavy for virtualy bulletproof freeride hucking machine? Damn most of you must be pretty young. once upon a time 50 to 60# was the norm. Why spend a ton of cash, when the best you could probably do is is shave 3 pounds max and spening a ton of green. If you want a light weight racer sell the Kona and buy one.

Cult Hero

Chimp
Dec 28, 2007
Santa Barbara
no, I know it is relatively light already. Like I said, my last bike was a 56 pound Super 8 with a Stratos. I was just trying to get confirmation on whether there was anything glaring that I was missing. Thanks for your help everyone.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Plenty of things you could do to that bike to get the weight down, but as people have said, you will have to spend a bit.

I think you've made a good start with the light wheels, lower rotating mass and all that. Some suggestions in no particular order:

# 160mm rear disc (never had a problem locking my Saints up on my DHer with a smaller disc on the rear.)
# Single ring up front with LG1/Gamut (As you say you can ditch the shifter, cables and mech, and you could also run a short cage mech, road block and shorter chain.)
# Lighter saddle (Funn?) and seatpost (Good to lose weight higher up on the bike.)
# As someone else said, the Diabolus weigh a ton. Are you light enough to get away with one of their lighter/AM cranks?
# Lastly (and quite drastically I'll admit), how much does that braking arm really help? :)

Cheers,

Mark

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
It would actually be fairly easy and not too expensive to shave some weight off that beast.

Cranks are a good start, those are heavy as hell. RaceFace Atlas or Hones would be decent, if you arne't a hucker.

This is what I was going to say.

• cranks
  • stem
  • single ring
  • lighter seat

The cranks and drivetrain will drop the overall weight bunch, and because the other parts are far away from the COG, they'll make a larger difference for the feel as you ride: easier to rotate the bike with respect to your body.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006

Your right...... a grand for new fork, $400 for cranks.....chump change. Well worth it to drop a couple pounds on your DH bike.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Straying just a little bit here, but Are there aftermarket rockers available for the kona's? Might be something to think about also, but as others have pointed out, your cranks are heavy, but very durable, ride it, replace parts as they break is probably your best bet!!!!!

If your gonna be in socal for new years day you should come ride with us.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Your right...... a grand for new fork, $400 for cranks.....chump change. Well worth it to drop a couple pounds on your DH bike.

Oh i see, MAGICAL FREE WEIGHT SAVINGS. I;m sorry, I didn't realize. I'm new, cut me some slack.

Well then, if we are working with the magical free weight savings, the first choice is obvious. If you just insist that the bike is lighter, well there ya go. You've already lost at least 19 pounds.

As well, you could remove the wheels are replace them with butterfly wings. That'll lighten things up nicely, and help you float over objects too. COlors are nice as well.

Fork oil and springs can be replaced with pixey dust. Use fairies if you are over 200 pounds though.

Cranks could be removed, and you could just stand on your chainstays.

You could remove your stem entirely and hold it on with model glue and duct tape, that should save some decent weight.

Your chain is heavy too. Try using string.

brake rotors can be replaced with paper plates, as long as you buy the good ones. No patterns though, they cause fade.

Your rear shock can be lightened up drastically using a bunch of leaves (live, not dried up) mashed into a discarded McDonalds Cup. Use a large for a 9.5x3" shock, Medium for 8.75x2.75, and so on.

Brake housing is surprisingly heavy. Straws linked together do just as good a job, and some have flexy bits to avoid kinks.

Did I miss anything? Thanks Biffff, so glad you pointed out how silly my suggestions were. I feel so dumb.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well hell in taht case, lets go for filling the tires with helium., seal up the frame as well and fill that up too!!! there ya go, wont really be lighter but gravity will think it is........