Quantcast

Stipped holes and Helicoil Q

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I need to repair my rear hub (AC air cooler) on my DH bike. I was told to use a Heli-coil(sp?) and it is as strong or stronger than the original.

Can anyone explain to me exacty how they work?

The full process of installing them?

What to be carefull of?

Other options?

I pretty much am doing all of them......so I want to do it right. What gets me is that they have those annoying Torx heads and I tightened them with Screwdriver (with a Torx bit) and they all stripped(well most) I have been wrenching for a long time but they seemed to tear thru like butter. It was a used DH bike so they might have been damaged somewhat before I received it. Either way looking for a way to fix it right.

Your help will be appreciated.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
OK so there are aditional tools and tapping I need to do.....this is going to be fun:)

I am running Magura Gustav M's but who know the reason for the bolts:(

Just so I might be understanding things:
I need to inlarge the hole and tap it with a tool that matches the coil. The coil then alows material fo the New hardened bolts to bite on. Do I need to tap the coil for the bolt or is the coil soft enough to thread itself? What is the special installing tool going to look like?

I am going back to the hardware store tonight to try and find everything so I can fix it this weekend.

Agreed with the loctite everywhere during this process.

Thanks Nobody for the help,

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Guess I will be looking for a "Kit". Lowes had nothing but what was in those little parts bins along with tons of other little do-dads I have never seen.

The kit looks to be the way to go then I get everything the right size etc. No selection mistakes on my part. And I know where to get spares;)

Dammit Nobody!....thanks for helping me with this.....there goes my Sunday:p

Indebted,

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Shouldn't take all Sunday. But go slow and follow directions. Its pretty simple really. Afterwrds you'll be proud of your work. You can tell your buds after that you have made your hub better by heli-coiling all the brake mount holes. And you'll be the heli-coil king!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by oldfart
Shouldn't take all Sunday.
It is well known around my parts that the Rhino never has a clean run thru anything:p

I am definitely going to take my time....it takes a while to polish of a six pack and tool around on my other bikes after frustrating myself with something new:D

I alway give myself mentally a long time to do something because if I rush I know I will end up coming up short :rolleyes: and not being able to compete the task.

Thanks for the words of encouragement....

and yes,"I am(will be) the Heli-coil King!"

When you tap out the holes to accept the helicoil use some honing fluid or if you can't get hold of that some light oil will do.Also keep the tap clean of swarf and don't try to tap too deep at one go.
Hope it goes well :)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Gotta love that heli coils they are tough to do in a blind hole , another thing you could do is tap the holes to 8-32 these are a little bigger and should work with the hole in your rotor ,Just some thing to think about ,Question though why do you not want to use green or red loctite granted you are going to use this to hold the coil in right:confused: ,But for the rotor bolt only use blue or purple after installing the heli-coil :D

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
If RHINO stripped the threads on one of the rotor bolt`s on his AC rear hub the easyest thing would be to tap new threads ,since he is dealing with a blind hole ,it would be much more effeciant and easier just use a 8-32 sae tap and tap the hole ,you can even buy a allen head screw a LOWES and the tap . good luck

LoonyOne

Chimp
Aug 19, 2001
Iowa
Oh, the venerable Heli-coil! I have used these babies MANY times at my old work, and on my bike. They are rather simple to use, as has been stated. Here's my $0.02...Be especially careful when using a 'bottoming tap', which will be needed when tapping a blind hole. They are tricky to start straight with experience, let alone doing it for the first time. When using them in an aluminum application, I do not use Loc-Tite, only grease. The repairer itself is made from a high-tensile stainless steel and needs to be separated from SS/Al contact, as SS and Al have a reaction over time. Your newly repaired bolt hole will be many times stronger than the original, which would be expected with SS. I wish I would have read this sooner than today, I would have supplied you with the coils, drill, tap, and installer tool...provided I would've gotten it back. If you haven't done it yet, e-mail me and we'll work sumpin' out.