Quantcast

stock mountain bike frames

dangle7

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
i live in canada
hey guys, i'm new to the forum, but not to trials. i am currently making a new bike and want to run something kind of all around ish. i'm going to run an hs33 in the back and a front disc, prolly dx32 in the back and rhyno lite front wheels, prolly cheeper hubs, but what i need is a frame. i was thinking about a dmr trailstar, but they look kinda heavy. are they? what's the geometry like for urbantrials riding? anything from cannondal that might work. any suggestions are appreciated
thanks

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well i'd suggest something with 16" stays. that works out pretty well all around. not too short for normal riding, but not too long for trials. I'd look into a norco moment, I've seen azonic evolutions used for trials as well. but I'm not sure how they'd ride. a planet x zebedi would work out very well too. those aren't too expensive, and they are light too. much lighter than the dmr. woodman elite might be ok, but I know someone who busted a woodman t-pro, but then again, its a different frame. as for hubs, I'd look into getting a nicer rear hub only because if you get a better one like a king or a hadley, you'll end up spending less money because you wont' have to replace hubs so often like you would with shimano or something cheaper, and you'd have a killer hub. front hub doesn't matter though, deore would work just fine. hope that helps

dangle7

Chimp
Jul 5, 2004
i live in canada
thanks very much. has anyone seen a person use a dmr for trials/urban. it has a 71 degree head angle, 14 inch seat tube, i dunno about stays or tt though

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i've never seen anyone use a dmr for trials. come to think of it i've never seen a dmr in person. I do know that the stays are about 16.5" long. go to bti-usa.com and look it up, they carry that frame. but your best bet would be a planet x zebdi. I've ridden one that was full on trials and it felt very nice, and i've also ridden one that was built up for more of an all around bike but still used for trials and that felt pretty nice too.

bwagner

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
Baltimore, Maryland
There's a super nice Zebdi on Ebay right now. It's a complete bike and in great shape. I've ridden it a few times, and ride with the owner a bit. He's a great mechanic, and the bike is in top shape. The auction number is 3686684972, jut copy and paste it into the search function of ebay to check it out. It's going for like 600 for the complete bike, and it's really like new

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
not too sure about the elite. I know a guy who HAD a t-pro... he snapped it after about 4 months. but he's a big guy and not the smoothest rider out there. I havn't heard anything about it, nothing bad, but then again nothing good either.