Quantcast

Stock specialized BB creaky

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
I love the P1, but the stock BB is creaking.

Now normally I'd just take it apart, grease everything, and put it back together tight, but I don't have my tools so I'm a bit helpless.

Anyone have any experience with the stock spec. bb getting creaky? I'm hoping it's just a matter of tightening up the cups. I don't even know what sort of BB it is. I assume Euro, because there are flats for a big wrench on the cups.

I really don't want to take it into a shop, pay wads of cash, and have them give it back to me the same as I gave it to them.

Never let yourself be parted from your tools, kids.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Ok, having posted first and searched later I have one suggestion for myself: Teflon tape on the bb threads.

I also suspect that cheap oem cr-mo pinchbolt cranks are generally unfixably creaky.

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
You may also take out the seatpost and clean out the sea tube as best as you can and re-grease the post before you re-install it along with doing the same for the bottom bracket.

Or you could just hit Dans Comp and get a shiny new euro bottom bracket ($25) and a tool install it...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
No need for Teflon on the threads. Just remove everything, clean, re-grease and re-assemble. It is the only way. Get your tools and get to it. 99% of the time creaks come from dirty stuff. Same goes for headsets and seatposts.