Quantcast

STOKAGE: I won me some pedals on eBay!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Yeah, it might seem trivial to some of you, but I won pedals on eBay! So happy you don't even KNOW - they're the old school red-caged Shimano DX 636 pedals - best friggin' pedals ever made for DH, Dual Slalom, BMX, etc. I've got two pair right now but one of them is getting THRASHED so I'm in need of replacements.

SOOOOO stoked! :cool: :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
old skool find. nicely done.

i'm a flats man, but i know these red beauties are legendary and highly sought after in certain circles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hehe i just came across my set the other day and tossed 'em on for the platty race this past weekend. I learned two things: i need to replace the axle bearings, and i need to get ankle guards (the little ball things that stick out on the inner side of your ankle, yea well mine got beat to sh!t)

love those peds. OH and i also have the old school answer accelerators. ya know, the red black and yellow ones w/ the black and white checkered straps? :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Thos fukkers are HUGE! :D
Yeah there are, but when you spike a rock going mach 12 and literally rip the cleat out of the shank of your shoe, it's nice to have something to stand on for the rest of the day! This is how it went down at Keystone earlier this week, note the plastic/cleat still in the pedal in the background...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MMcG said:
Narlus do you ride flats on your Enduro too?
no. i did go through a phase when i did all my trail riding on my joker, which had flat pedals. i came from an xc not bmx background, so i considered that 'boot camp' conditions to really learn to use the flats well, and it worked.

that said, there are clear benefits to using clipless pedals for xc riding, and i am still rocking the shimano 747s.

Full Trucker said:
Yeah there are, but when you spike a rock going mach 12 and literally rip the cleat out of the shank of your shoe, it's nice to have something to stand on for the rest of the day! This is how it went down at Keystone earlier this week, note the plastic/cleat still in the pedal in the background...

Where did you get the high top shoes?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I use to sport some of those... many moons ago. They were great for my hardtail as I used it for everything, ncluding riding around with flip flops.

Been using Time pedals ever since... If I were ever in the market for some clipless/platform pedals I suppose I'd have to go with the Time Z pedals.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
johnbryanpeters said:
Where did you get the high top shoes?
Like Cooter sayed - Adidas Hematomas. Absolutely the SWIZZLE - I even use them for roadie riding, but mostly because I am too cheap to buy actual roadie shoes, and most of my roadie riding is done in the winter anyways. Not only are they hi-top (kind of a 3/4 top really), but they have a really good, stiff sole and a hard toebox for protecting your tootsies. I have really funky, wide, flat feet with rolled in ankles and they still fit really nicely. I love these bad boys, this is my second pair and I will be getting another!

I got my last pair through Mojo Wheels here in Denver, but they're out of stock and waiting on an order right now. Check them out at http://www.mojowheels.com/ they're good peeps - ask for Bobby and tell him I sent ya if ya do!

However, that being said, I have quite a few friends that are starting to migrate to the Shimano DX shoes - they are said to be über comfy and are kind of a 3/4 top on the inside as well.

Shimano DX shoes linky here.

Rockland said:
I also cracked the sole on a pair of Hematomas just recently.
Yeah it's a bummer that I literally tore not only the cleat but the plastic shank/sole of the shoe out as well, but hey - these bad boys are 2 seasons of DHing old so they've held up well considering! My original pair (silver and yellow) are still in pretty good shape, although the rubber part of the sole is coming off the plastic shank a little bit on one shoe... I think I can probably use the good shoe from each pair for a while until my replacements get here!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
used to love those 636's, but they are too fragile. I've nuked too many and the Time control z's are so much better.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Zark said:
used to love those 636's, but they are too fragile. I've nuked too many and the Time control z's are so much better.
Yeah I hear ya... mine are so fragile that I've been spiking rocks and generally beating the ishtar out of 'em for going on 6 years now, and they're just now starting to fall apart!

:oink:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Full Trucker said:
Yeah I hear ya... mine are so fragile that I've been spiking rocks and generally beating the ishtar out of 'em for going on 6 years now, and they're just now starting to fall apart!

:oink:
The "ishtar":rofl: Good stuff FT

I guess my luck hasn't been so good. I've gone through 6 or 7 pairs of 'em since '97.
The last pair I had died a specatular death. I accidentally unclipped on a speed jump and came down full force on the other pedal. Snapped the sole of my AXO shoe in half, destroyed one plate, bent the spindle so bad is was spitting bearings and FUBAR'd the mechanism.:hot:

My foot hurt for a week. Its the only time I've nuked a shoe AND pedal in one move....and I still didn't crash:rofl:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Full Trucker said:
Yeah, it might seem trivial to some of you, but I won pedals on eBay! So happy you don't even KNOW - they're the old school red-caged Shimano DX 636 pedals - best friggin' pedals ever made for DH, Dual Slalom, BMX, etc. I've got two pair right now but one of them is getting THRASHED so I'm in need of replacements.

That's funny. Those are mine! err, were mine. Anyways, I just shipped 'em; have fun!

Edit: On a second look, they aren't. But I did just sell a pair this morning on eBay.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
macko said:
That's funny. Those are mine! err, were mine. Anyways, I just shipped 'em; have fun!

Edit: On a second look, they aren't. But I did just sell a pair this morning on eBay.
Yeees...you have been converted to the Mallet fold, my son...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Full Trucker said:

bah, the 647s are way better. though i have a set of the 636s and 646s here collecting dust.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have six pairs off those in my garage. Best pedals I have ever rode. When people had them on beaters, I would offer to buy them new pedals in exchange. They had no idea what they were letting go of.