Quantcast

Stolen bike in morzine!

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
By night 30/31st July in Morzine some mother****r stole my bike from the garage in chalet la Prairie (owners Mr and Mrs Pirrie-Didier) at Chemin de la Vielle Plagne, close to municipale workshops.

Quick specs:
2008 Glory S frame with DHX Air 5.0
Totem Solo Air
Thomson/Easton/X.9 Triggers cockpit
X.9/FSA Gravity Light/Dura-Ace drivetrain
Elixirs CR Carbon brakes
EN321/DT/Hope Pro II/Minion DHF/R 2,5 ST
Thomson/Tioga MC Lite Ti
DX SPD pedals
E13 SRS custom chainguide

PLS LOOK AROUND, ASK PEOPLE, HELP ME!

IT MAY BE YOUR BIKE, TOMORROW! :(

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
woow that suckss
I'm allready back to israel in the 24.. but lotof friends still there.
I'll tell them to keep an eye for it.
hope you find it.. or have insurance..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Oh ****. Man that sucks. Didn't suspect that was possible in civilized countries. At least not from chalets/hotels. I'd try posting it on the brit forums and maybe finding some French one. Will look for it for sure. Don't let it get you to hard.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Everyone is getting there bikes stolen WTF has the world gone crazy?

Has anyone ever tracked down a stolen bike that was posted here?

Did they get the satisfaction of pounding on the crooks?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've spent an hour on the gendarmerie station/post. I've been told it wasn't the first time. Then, I left leaflets with pics and specs of bike in local shops.
Owners of the chalet told me, that their insurance didn't cover it and their are not responsible for what's left in the garage.
So, Guys, keep your bikes properly locked, or attached to some pipe or bar.

And these of You, who still are in Morzine, pls look around.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How much time do you still stay in Morzine? Are you planing to look around all the time or rent something and use the time you have left. Hope you get it back. It's still probably the lightest and nicest glory I've seen in this sad country so it's a real shame.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Norbar, I am already back in Poland. It happened one day before our departure.
There is little chance I see it again :(

I should have next bike with Glory DH 2010 frame built within 2-3 months... but I lost so much money :(

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
The unfortunate scenario is that it won't be in Morzine any more. It could be anywhere in the world by now. Probably stripped and sold separately.
I will still keep an eye out for it however.
Gypsys come here and know that tourists cannot afford the time and don't have the knowledge to search for stolen property.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice, blame it on the gypsies. More likely some spoiled rich kid ganked the bike.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Maybe, but there are gypsy bike thief rings operating in the Alps.

They target chalet garages & bike storage, knowing there are a few grands worth of bikes in there.

A friend's chalet here was broken into a few years back. They had great secured doors to the garage, but they smashed through the bricks at the back of the garage.

This leads us here to believe that these aren't random burglaries, but targeted locations. They have obviously watched and planned.

There are of course your average random nicking of bikes left unattended as well.

It would be an easy thing to load a van up with stolen bikes and get them out of town. From there they could go anywhere in a very small amount of time to be sold off in pieces.

And yes, bands of gypsies do come up from the surrounding towns and take their (relatively easy) pickings.

It goes without saying: Be very careful with your bike when on holiday!

Frango, I sincerely hope you get your bike back. Nothing would make me happier than catching a thief in the act.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Damo what you say it pretty scary. It looks like it's much easier to get your bike stolen in Morzine than in Poland(and we know for what kind of ppl my country is famous for, no not plumbers). You make it sound like it happens often.

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Damo what you say it pretty scary. It looks like it's much easier to get your bike stolen in Morzine than in Poland(and we know for what kind of ppl my country is famous for, no not plumbers). You make it sound like it happens often.
Yes bikes get stolen pretty often in Morzine.
So always remember to place your bike next to a more expensive and less secured one. :D

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I didn't know house-keepers were in the business of stealing bikes...;)

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Maybe, but there are gypsy bike thief rings operating in the Alps.

They target chalet garages & bike storage, knowing there are a few grands worth of bikes in there.

A friend's chalet here was broken into a few years back. They had great secured doors to the garage, but they smashed through the bricks at the back of the garage.

This leads us here to believe that these aren't random burglaries, but targeted locations. They have obviously watched and planned.

There are of course your average random nicking of bikes left unattended as well.

It would be an easy thing to load a van up with stolen bikes and get them out of town. From there they could go anywhere in a very small amount of time to be sold off in pieces.

And yes, bands of gypsies do come up from the surrounding towns and take their (relatively easy) pickings.

It goes without saying: Be very careful with your bike when on holiday!

Frango, I sincerely hope you get your bike back. Nothing would make me happier than catching a thief in the act.
all true. i was going to quote the one that went through the back of the garage myself.

It seems to have gotten a little better in the last few years, probably the most sickening i heard of was the guy who went up a chairlift to find that someone had swiped his bike and left some POS in its place!