Quantcast

Stolen bike-Johnny Ohta

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
I am not sure if any of you know Johnny Ohta's story or saw the story on the local news last night so I will fill you in. Anyway, he is a great guy in Seattle that has dedicated his life to helping homeless youth who are struggling with serious chemical dependency issues. As a Social Worker in the U District, I have referred many kids that were in extremely tough shape due to drug abuse to Johnny. He has worked to get these kids into treatment facilities, councels and literally saves the lives of these youth. Johnny is the most well known CDP in the city and has received numerous awards for his dedication.
Anyone that knows Johnny knows that he despises cars. Johnny rides his broken down old mid 90's trek to meet with kids and Social Workers all around the metro area, rain or shine. Recently, several Social Workers in the area pooled their money to give Johnny a decent ride. These folks pooled resources and time and built up a green Kona Cinder Cone with custom built Alex rims, a new Rock Shox fork(not sure which model) and other goodies. some of the parts were new and others were used. $1100 was the final total build. I didn't get to see the bike, so thats all the specs I know of. apparently Johnny was very touched by this gift.
Only 9 hours later, the bike was stolen in front of the downtown YMCA. Johnny was/is devistated. He is back to his P.O.S. Trek.
This guy doesnt make a lot of money and has a daughter he is helping through college. Please keep an eye out for this bike! He really needs this bike.
Also, I am planning on putting together a nice ride for him with some of my spare parts. If anyone would like to contribute any decent parts, please PM me. Also, there is a story the Seattle PI did on this theft online in the local section-not sure of the link. Thanks in advance...John

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
I will donate my GSR Convict frame if it will help.
It is a 5" travel full suspension frame. Might not be what he'd want for a around town bike but I will give it to him for free. I might even have a few other parts to send his way too.

But... if he despises cars as you say he might not want to take anything from me as I LOVE cars, or more accurately trucks. I have a few.

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Thanks Trailhacker-When I said he despises cars, I mean that he tries to avoid driving. Poor choice of words on my part! I like cars too. I don't think he would know what to do with a five inch travel bike, but thank you for your generosity. Any parts would be appreciated. Looking for a hardtail.