Quantcast

Stomach Cramping

Olyroller

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
Olympia, WA USA
Does anyone else have a problem with there stomach cramping when they have to put the hammer down ? I'm 49 year old (guy). No period jokes please. I'm not over eating before a training ride. I'm fine till we up the speed to over 28mph or on a long hill. Then my stomach just takes me out. Yeah I'm older an all that, but damm... this is starting to get old. Any ideas, info, leads, experiences ?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Olyroller
Does anyone else have a problem with there stomach cramping when they have to put the hammer down ? I'm 49 year old (guy). No period jokes please. I'm not over eating before a training ride. I'm fine till we up the speed to over 28mph or on a long hill. Then my stomach just takes me out. Yeah I'm older an all that, but damm... this is starting to get old. Any ideas, info, leads, experiences ?
Oatmeal for breakfast. :thumb:

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
I'm no MD, but I've read up on stomach cramps after I had a bout with them during a Soccer season. My thing was really just not getting enough fiber. Once I boosted my fiber intake a little (actually, doing exactly what SM mentioned) I had no problems whatsoever.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
I haven't had a problem with stomach cramps(but have heard stuff along the lines of more fiber) but during crosscountry in highschool I several people on the team had problems with cramping(legs and stomachs). I adviced a friend of mine to increase salt consumption, mainly by adding a sprinkle of salt to large bottles of water, but also eating more peanut butter(slap some on a wheat bagel in the morning), it worked for him so the two others with cramping issues took it up, worked for them. Maybe it'll work for you?

The Ito

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I've never had an issue on my bike with cramping, but I do periodically when running four or five miles. Usually it's when I change my routine and eat within two hours of going for my ride. I know 'they' say you shouldn't really consume heavy foods of any kind at least an hour before you exercise, and I would tend to agree.

Usually for long rides where I know I'll be pushed, I have a healthy and fairly large breakfast right after getting up, then between packing, loading, driving, unpacking and getting ready it's been at least an hour. Once I'm into a ride I'll suck down some gu, or stop when I'm getting a little shaky and eat some of a PBJ sandwich or a granola bar I stuff in my pack, and I'm good to go.

:)

Good luck tho...that doesn't sound fun at all. :(