Quantcast

Stop asking about Freeride bikes

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ioscope said:
Freeride is a BS term and should be eliminated.
The new categories are:
DH
DJ
Urban
Trials
Trails
XC

Freeride is just some amalgum of these. A nonspecific term bike companies use to refer to a DH/trail hybrid.
A freebike means just about anything today:

Specialized Hardrock
Santa Cruz VP-Free
Karpiel Armageddon
Seven Duo
Kona Dawg
Iron Horse Porter

These are a sample of the bikes which have been described as a FR bike.

You could be a 15 year old doing his first hucks, an accountant who wants to move off his old hardtail, or Wade Simmons, and all of these guys want a freeride bike.

If you are going to ask about a good freeride bike, you better have some clue about what you want. Even better if you know about a bike before hand and ask RM'ers what they think about it.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i really dont think any one consiters a specialized hard rock a free ride bike.... it wasnt even made for jumping

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
sanjuro said:

Specialized Hardrock
Santa Cruz VP-Free
Karpiel Armageddon
Seven Duo
Kona Dawg
Iron Horse Porter

You could be a 15 year old doing his first hucks, an accountant who wants to move off his old hardtail, or Wade Simmons, and all of these guys want a freeride bike.

If you are going to ask about a good freeride bike, you better have some clue about what you want. Even better if you know about a bike before hand and ask RM'ers what they think about it.

quit complaing if there asking about freeride bikes its probly because there a beginner look at the majority of the post that say freeride bike. usually the people that post it have like 3-5 posts b4 it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bballboy388 said:
quit complaing if there asking about freeride bikes its probly because there a beginner look at the majority of the post that say freeride bike. usually the people that post it have like 3-5 posts b4 it.
that's his point. bring something more substantive than "i wan a freeried bike wut should i get" or the like to the table (er, message board) or don't post at all.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
ioscope said:
My posts are always worthy!
I should have put, I think ioscope has categorized bikes correctly. Mr. Ioscope, you are a smart and sensitive man and I apologize. Unless you are a woman, then I apologize for calling you a smart and sensitive man.

Oh and the Hardrock not being considered a FR bike:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1189922#post1189922

I just think the smart people know it is not a very good FR bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
I should have put, I think ioscope has categorized bikes correctly. Mr. Ioscope, you are a smart and sensitive man and I apologize. Unless you are a woman, then I apologize for calling you a smart and sensitive man.

can i be a freeride bike steeyve?

Most newbies dont know the drill on being specific in their posts. Either that or they have plenty of green but want input on what to get.
We should have posting instructions in this thread for newbees that can be permanant.
Or have RM put it up on the site requirements when people sign up.

Sep 29, 2004
sanjuro said:

hahahaha that was me just trying to sell my bike (as a newbie)... it is a strudy-ish frme though as far as cheap fames that u should never ride off pavement go

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
so i was thingking about getting a freeride bike for my mom to ride on paved trails....what should i get her? I think it should be a dual suspention with about 6 inch of travel front and back but i only want to spend about $800
help me out guys.
kai-

sorry i just had to poke fun!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
sanjuro said:

Specialized Hardrock
Santa Cruz VP-Free
Karpiel Armageddon
Seven Duo
Kona Dawg
Iron Horse Porter

Want some cheese with that whine? :D

Your telling beginers to stop asking questions? pppffffff. damn newbs.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
mack said:
Want some cheese with that whine? :D

Your telling beginers to stop asking questions? pppffffff. damn newbs.
I am trying to tell beginners how to ask the right questions.

Newbies asking about FR bikes could mean they want any bike from my list, and frankly I am sick of reading "buy a Heckler" messages.

Am I whining? Sure. I thought RideMonkey is good for that!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
rigidhack said:
Thanks for the post, now tell me which FR bike to buy!
Buy a Trek Fuel with a SID World Cup 63mm travel. Find the biggest cliff, or the roof of your apartment building, and make sure to take a picture (coronor's photo ok).

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
Buy a Trek Fuel with a SID World Cup 63mm travel. Find the biggest cliff, or the roof of your apartment building, and make sure to take a picture (coronor's photo ok).
you seem to know alot about free ride bike, considering the highest travel bike you have IS A KONA DAWG

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
sanjuro said:
I am trying to tell beginners how to ask the right questions.

Newbies asking about FR bikes could mean they want any bike from my list, and frankly I am sick of reading "buy a Heckler" messages.

Am I whining? Sure. I thought RideMonkey is good for that!
Well teh beginners you are trying to tell aren't even on this site yet... and won't know enough to search first when they are.

This is a necessary evil of posting on a site.
Deal..

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
you seem to know alot about free ride bike, considering the highest travel bike you have IS A KONA DAWG
Well, I have a Seven Axiom Ti. Is that a good Freeride bike?

I know this is a losing battle. But everyone has to admit Freeride is a very large category of bikes, and asking for a good one is asking for a thousand answers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
TheMontashu said:
YES 23CM tures are great for FR so is a dur-ace group
Would I get a plusher ride if I went to 25cm tires? And will Ksyriums SSC handle 5-7 foot drops, or should I switch to a 28 hole, 15 gauge spoked wheelset? Or if I switch to a Campy Record Carbon Crank, will it hold up to repeated beating?

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
sanjuro said:
Would I get a plusher ride if I went to 25cm tires? And will Ksyriums SSC handle 5-7 foot drops, or should I switch to a 28 hole, 15 gauge spoked wheelset? Or if I switch to a Campy Record Carbon Crank, will it hold up to repeated beating?
good ideas that square taper is alot stronger than shimano spline

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
WAIT!
IF we really did start to ride big drops and stuff on roadbikes the carnage threads woud recieve a huge boost in traffic. We could invent an entirely new level of core-ness and call it GWAR-core!

-old school canage-metal reference for those too young to recall GWAR the best band ever. -

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Didn't Cannondale trademark the term "Freeride" back in the 90's? I guess that means the only right answer to the "wut kind of fre3ride bike shuld I get" question is "Cannondale." :devil:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
My friend's dad just bought a Enduro with 8" hydraulic disks and a 6" for (can't remember what kind) for riding around town; hope he's not too surprised as he flips over his handle bars while stopping at a stop sign. People just don't have a clue. As for freeriding being a category, I think it is legit. It's not downhill, XC, trials, urban, or dirt-jumping, and only maybe trail. It's roots are freedom and riding and comes from people finding new ways to throw themselves from high places, but is more like extreme all-mountain riding. A good freeriding trail is a trail where you find a collection of all extreme styles. But there is no one good freeriding bike; each bike plays to each rider's preferences. For me, I prefer long travel but would take versatility and feel over that. Other's prefer less versatility and longer travel, some even like sorter travel or hardtails.

specialK

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
La Jolla and Long Beach
-BB- said:
Well teh beginners you are trying to tell aren't even on this site yet... and won't know enough to search first when they are.

This is a necessary evil of posting on a site.
Deal..

His advise wouldve actually saved me some time when I first started biking. A friend who was already into it refered me to the site to do some research before I even had a bike...newbs get confused easily