Quantcast

Stop the malignant use of the US military...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is what I think of when people go over the top with all of the "thanks to all the veterans that are fighting for our freedom"-day stuff. Yes, at one time our military did just that for us and our allies in a great world war, but I can't think back to when this was actually the case. Maybe in retaliation for 911 to some extent(assuming the right nation is targeted), but we have long since passed the number of casualties and time that would make sense for that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have read too much Zinn, Smedley Butler and David M. Shoup and personally seen too much blatant waste to believe that the very military that I was a part of for most of my adult life is anything but a tool of Capitalists and Imperialists anymore.

"I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street, and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism."

"For a great many years, as a soldier, I had a suspicion that war was a racket; not until I retired to civil life did I fully realize it."

"War is just a racket... I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else."
Smedley Butler, MG, USMC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smedley_Butler

Funny how these words, written almost 100 years ago, can ring so true even now. If you truly want to thank Veterans, dont send their sons and daughters into any more dead end, senseless wars.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This was the son of one of our sister-office's manager, the last of two, the other having also died deployed, and for what? I can't even begin to imagine how horrible that is and even worse, those that continue to support this.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017/10/29/juneau-soldier-killed-in-afghanistan-helicopter-crash/
A member by marriage of my family was killed in a helicopter crash in Iraq. He was a Florida LEO who had never served in the military and had a guilt trip going about it, so he signed up with Blackmurder and went over to do Good Stuff, as did some of his fellow cops. They were all nice people, they all died hitting sand at high velocity. I went to the funeral in Stuart, Florida. Lots of cops, lots of political hacks, all Reagan worshipers. The Attorney General of Florida spoke meaningless words. The family was devastated. And so it goes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
probably sounds cliche as fuck but not one of my family members ever remembers my uncle leo talking about his time served in vietnam....ever.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
probably sounds cliche as fuck but not one of my family members ever remembers my uncle leo talking about his time served in vietnam....ever.
one of my great uncles who was in WWII apparently was part of the invasion of normandy. i never knew this until after he passed away. he never so much as mentioned it, or the fact that he served in WWII in the first place.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Mentally ill? Join the Army!!!

Under the new policy, applicants with mental health issues that previously would have barred them from service can ask for waivers allowing them to sign up. This ends an eight-year ban on the waivers that started after a spike in suicides among American fighters. It is unclear how many waivers will be available.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
one of my great uncles who was in WWII apparently was part of the invasion of normandy. i never knew this until after he passed away. he never so much as mentioned it, or the fact that he served in WWII in the first place.
My Father was a Navy medic during WW2. He participated in the landings in West Africa, Italy and Normandy. He never spoke of the things he experienced, only the good things and the friends he made. He saw more bad shit in 3 years and change than I witnessed in 27.5 years. It is to my everlasting shame that I never got to hear how he felt about things, as he passed away before I was of age to serve. He discarded most of his gear and got on with life after he discharged and returned stateside. He was an interesting cat, very intelligent and experienced, but not what you would call a really warm dude. I will never know if it was just him or what he went through, he just never volunteered anything. I am sure he thought that we would not find it interesting.

Sorry Dad...I wish I could have heard and helped somewhat with what you went through.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@DaveW yeah...that is definitely not the way to win hearts and influence minds.