Quantcast

Storage of carbon fiber question

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
i finally! have a place to store my gear (bikes, boards, etc) but it just dawned on me that we are expecting 100+ heat indices which would make the sheds well above 100 i'd guess. having said that, should i be concerned about storing my carbon flavored gear (trek 5200, sailboard, etc)

i know there are some materials guys on here, wadda ya think? i am being over paranoid or is this a legitimate concern?

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
No, the composites found on bikes are more than likely cured at a high temperature, causing the useable temp range to be higher. People take their boats out in the 120deg. heat, and the resins are fairly similar.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
mastercycleman said:
should be ok, why cant you just put it in your house:confused:
its not that i cant, its just that i finally have storage (2 sheds) and would rather not keep them (my bikes) in the house. although as it stands right now, the value of the contents of my sheds FAR exceeds the content of my house. the place i just moved out of was tiny and i had no storage forcing me to turn my spare bedroom into basically a garage. now ive got storage and it is soooo nice. one of my sheds is devoted entirely to my bike collection and the other one has all my other toys/tools in it.

thanks to all the :monkey:s that assuaged my fears :thumb:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
while its probably much crappier carbon, one of the carbon knuckles in my gloves actually deformed and became almost completely flat because it was sitting out in the sun for a long time.