Quantcast

store bought or custom build my own???

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
K, I'm kinda having a dilemna, I have the resources at my disposal (welder, bandsaw, torch, drillpress, etc.....) to design (I run Pro Engineer software at work) and fabricate my own bike rack. What do you :monkey:'s think? I could make it just how I wanted it then, attached pic is basically what I'm thinking of. Or just hook it up with a sport works. I've heard a lot of good things about em. The thing is, if I make it, I can have it where it can haul 4 bikes like that or two and some luggage for road trips and such. Anyhow, opinions :help:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you can make it and don't mind spending the time, why not? especially since you apparently have a car, and the rack offerings in the trunk rack field are less than inspiring imo :D

Cooter Brown said:
.............I have the resources at my disposal (welder, bandsaw, torch, drillpress, etc.....) to design (I run Pro Engineer software at work) and fabricate my own bike rack................
you have all this, and you give us some hokey sketch?!?!?!

show us something cool, then we will commence to bashing it........

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
WestCoastHucker said:
you have all this, and you give us some hokey sketch?!?!?!

show us something cool, then we will commence to bashing it........

hey now that "hokey" sketch is finely engineered material via MS Paint, c'mon now, it must have taken me a whole 3 minutes to do gimme a break :cool: :p

fully designed and FEA tested pics to come, stand by :thumb: :D

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Cooter Brown said:
K, I'm kinda having a dilemna, I have the resources at my disposal (welder, bandsaw, torch, drillpress, etc.....) to design (I run Pro Engineer software at work) and fabricate my own bike rack. What do you :monkey:'s think? I could make it just how I wanted it then, attached pic is basically what I'm thinking of. Or just hook it up with a sport works. I've heard a lot of good things about em. The thing is, if I make it, I can have it where it can haul 4 bikes like that or two and some luggage for road trips and such. Anyhow, opinions :help:
Looks like Pro/E has improved since the last time I used it :D

Seriously - I've built a few things myself instead of buying them (bike and non-bike items), and it's either the best thing ever... or a complete disaster. Luckily I've had more success than failure - so I say go for it! :thumb: