Quantcast

Storing bikes??? (WARNING: Bike content)

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
So I'm in the process of replacing the roof on my garage this week. I'm also going to be spending a lot of time into reorganizing the inside of my garage as well.

Here's my question...

How do you guys usually store your bikes to save space? Hang them from the seatpost from a rafter? Hang them from a hook/rack on the wall by the frame? Hang them by the tire vertically from a hook on the wall? Or some other fancy new fandangled way?

I'd like to find a simple/inexpensive way to get them off the ground and out of the way but still easily accessable when I want to ride.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I made a rack, like the school yard has, it takes up a lot of garage space, but we also have 12 bikes to deal with. I need to come up with a better solution, just not sure what yet.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
Here's a pic of the garage...

The ceiling is decently high in the middle but the walls are only about 8ft at the sides. I doubt I'd have enough room for one of those hoists.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I made one of those pvc racks years ago that I still use. It works well just make sure you glue the hell out of it. Mine will come apart with any force on it, and I have not been bothered to reglue it.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I'd like to find a simple/inexpensive way to get them off the ground and out of the way but still easily accessable when I want to ride.
I'd like to do something similar to what the guy in the last post of this thread built in my apartment. Right now my bikes are just stacked up against each other and leaning against the wall. They're not easily accessible when I'm trying to get the one closest to the wall. If I could have something that held my seemingly self-procreating sets of skis I'd be really happy, too.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I've been working on my garage, and have come to the conclusion that hanging them off of a hook is best. I like what amish matt did, so you're not stuck to using studs for bike spacing. I'm also pretty psyched on the rubbermaid quick track that kona bumm showed me on here. Best part is that I can adjust the spacing to store more bikes in the same space, if needed.
Oh, and the hooks seem to be more well thought out for bikes- easier to hook/unhook the bikes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ask full trucker to show you a picture of his garage. it's a good setup.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Garage is far more cluttered now, but I'm still hanging the bikes the same way. Simple, and it works:

That is exactly how I have mine set up. Only difference is that I have the rear wheel of the bike on the ground. Makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of the hooks. Also installed the "bar" (2x4) at t bit of an angle to account for different wheel bases.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
I think I'm leaning more toward the hanging the bikes vertically on the wall method.

Does hanging the bikes like that affect the rim at all over time?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've heard that it can, but it would take a LONG time. That is also why I keep the back tire on the ground. The hook is only really keeping the bike from toppling over, not holding it up in the air. That relieves some of the pressure/force.

On a more positive side though, if you have an open bath fork, it will keep the seals in contact with the oil and prevent them from drying out (assuming you keep it upright, not up side down).

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Does hanging the bikes like that affect the rim at all over time?
I've been hanging my bikes like this for years and never had a problem. You do need to watch that you position the wheel in the hook so that the weight of the bike doesn't rest on a spoke/nipple, but that's not hard to do.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I hang mine. Just don't touch the brake levers while it's upside down, you might move a bubble in your hydro brakes to some place where it causes problems. The oil in the shocks will move back into place the first time they are cycled. Heck, it might even help keep the shock uppers lubed.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
In case anyone actually cares...

The roof is finally done! Now just need to make a decision on the bike storage situation.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
ask full trucker to show you a picture of his garage. it's a good setup.
Meh, mine's really just like Amish Matt's setup, I just placed the wheel hooks at a tight enough interval to accommodate all the bikes we have. It does necessitate that you hang them "every other" in order to fit: so every other from the front wheel, the rest from the rear wheel. We do have lots of shelves though... and I.m rather proud of my low hung clothing bar that I use to store tyres.