Quantcast

straight razors anybody?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I use a DE. I've thought about a straight because the best shaves I've had have been from them. But I only shave about once a month which would make it difficult to practice enough with the straight to become proficient.

Is that a badger brush? If not, you'll probably want to upgrade to one.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
don't get to confident and start shaving the twig and berries with it.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
I use a DE. I've thought about a straight because the best shaves I've had have been from them. But I only shave about once a month which would make it difficult to practice enough with the straight to become proficient.

Is that a badger brush? If not, you'll probably want to upgrade to one.
yes it is a badger brush. ive already been looking at websites and doing research on the stuff i can get for it. damn my girlfriend giving me another thing i can turn into a hobby! she should know better than this

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Mr. Blonde made the best use of a straight razor that I can remember.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Adam Sandler quote - "When shaving remember up & down works better than side to side."
If we stop hearing from you ...we'll know what happened. ;)

Let us know how it works out.
I'm curious. since I can't get disposable to last more than a week. Maybe they're not suppose to, but they are getting pricey. Do you need to sharpen a straight? Doesn't stay sharp forever right?

Last edited:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Adam Sandler quote - "When shaving remember up & down works better than side to side."
If we stop hearing from you ...we'll know what happened. ;)

Let us know how it works out.
I'm curious. since I can't get disposable to last more than a week. Maybe they're not suppose to, but they are getting pricey. Do you need to sharpen a straight? Doesn't stay sharp forever right?

You're not to be trusted with a straight razor.......:rofl:

Stop buying cheap disposables - those things suck. Drop a few more dollars and get some Sensor's or Mach 3's.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i regularly use a mach3. lasts about 10 days to me (which is like 5 shaves) before getting dull. the 4-bladed schick is better and lasts longer, though; but i´d have to go out of my way to buy one... so i just rather buy the mach3 at the drugstore which is on my way back home.

and the cartridges are so expensive, that i just rather buy a whole new razor, than to save 70 cents, but still have a dirty/worn handle. plus there is the issue of "lost" cartridges. to get a good price, you buy like for 4 (for the savings!!), but end up using only 2, because the others get lost before you get a chance to use them.

even if a straight razor gets a "better" shave... i see no point in a "better" shave.
a closer shave, lasts 3-4 hours at most, before hair grows to a "mach 3" level shave.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
True story.

Gelette Sensor Excel cartridges are only $8 for 5 at New Seasons (where everything else is twice as much) vs $13 for 5 anywhere else.

Each blade lasts me a month. I shave about 3 times a week on average and I shave with a dull blade for longer than I should, but it's fast and works for me. I was dating a girl that said she wanted to buy me some shaving gear from this fancy place by my office, I lol'ed.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I wouldn't really advise it to most people. It's difficult and straights are deceptively sharp. I developed some good dexterity back in my tattoo artist days, so I was able to pick it up pretty fast. My experience is not typical. The shave is second-to-none, though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I wouldn't really advise it to most people. It's difficult and straights are deceptively sharp. I developed some good dexterity back in my tattoo artist days, so I was able to pick it up pretty fast. My experience is not typical. The shave is second-to-none, though.
I hope you shave better than you tattoo.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As a side note to the whole quality shave thing.....I never saw the point of a super-close shave. If I shave at night after a shower, it's stubbly when I wake up in the morning anyway. And I sure as fvck don't have the presence of mind to shave in the morning.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I don't understand the straight razor thing.

I shaved with a DE safety razor for a while, and there are a lot of benefits there. The blades are dirt cheap, the shave is close, and the equipment lasts forever. Shaving with a DE safety razor was as close, more comfortable, and cheaper than shaving with a cartridge.

Shaving with a straight razor is painstaking, maintenance-intensive, and expensive. But I guess we all need a hobby, and if you want your hobby to be shaving, that's cool, if a little crazy :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL at all you hairless faeries.

I shave every morning and I have a 5'o'clock shadow by the time I leave work. A closer shave might buy me a little more time of not looking like a Dbag.

Add to that the fact that a decent shaving cartridge razor costs $8 plus for a four pack, and you get maybe four shaves out of one if you stretch it. Gillette has the market cornered on forced obsolescence. I swear if I mix gillette razors and shave cream, I get two shaves out of a mach 3 before it's dull.

Straight razors have one up front price and then you maintain them until you die, with maybe a yearly hone. Double edge razors use 20c blades. I see the convenience of cartridge razors, but being able to have a close comfortable shave every day would be way nicer than stretching a 17 blade razor until it's uncomfortable.

For me, I want the feather artist's club razor. Uses replaceable blades in a straight handle...the same blades that I use to cut 5micron thick sections out of dead animals. That's sharp.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Straight razors have one up front price and then you maintain them until you die, with maybe a yearly hone.
Yup. You can actually maintain a razor indefinitely with some chrome oxide pigment (fine abrasive) smeared on a balsa board and a strop. It's not too hard to find a sweet vintage razor for $20-25, get it honed for $25 and you are up and running.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I tried to shave with a month-old mach 3 after letting the beard go for 10 days this morning. Yow.

I think I plucked my face.