Quantcast

Strange Heartrate question

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
In late March i tested my LT and it was about 185BPM but now I can't even get my Heartrate above 173BPM when climbing. Could this be from being outside instead of inside? Except when i first started riding outside my heartrate was higher for the same effort as on the trainer.

My resting HRT when sitting in a chair is about 50-52BPM which is good. Could my heart suddenly grown bigger and my lungs stayed the same.?

Any ideas?
Thanks

Apr 11, 2003
The Dark Side
Were the numbers you got in march consistent or repeatable or was it a one-time event that you got this reading? I am wondering if maybe there was some interference with the initial readings. I sometimes get interference when I am on the trainer and I use the remote to change the station on the TV. I tend to use the numbers my monitor gives me as a guide and throw out the highest and the lowest readings I get to cut down on the erronious stuff. Hope this helps!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You'll be able to get a higher sustained max HR in controlled conditions - like on a trainer. When you are climbing you are probably pushing with a lot of torque and not spinning at 90+, on your trainer you could easily spin 130 and max out your HR. I would not worry about it. :)

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You'll be able to get a higher sustained max HR in controlled conditions - like on a trainer. When you are climbing you are probably pushing with a lot of torque and not spinning at 90+, on your trainer you could easily spin 130 and max out your HR. I would not worry about it. :)
I think that might be part of it but this is also when doing TT on flat road i still can't get it to what it used to be.

I don't think it's interference i get that sometimes when going down hill it will say my HRT is like 300BPM:rolleyes: :p

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
I think that might be part of it but this is also when doing TT on flat road i still can't get it to what it used to be.

I don't think it's interference i get that sometimes when going down hill it will say my HRT is like 300BPM:rolleyes: :p

the reallllllllly elevated heart rate is due to the wind. it starts to flap your jersey around and it messes w/ your strap and makes the monitor pick up a sort of false heart beat.....it's weird i know....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's the aliens from outer space that cause this problem. :monkey:

Originally posted by indieboy
the reallllllllly elevated heart rate is due to the wind. it starts to flap your jersey around and it messes w/ your strap and makes the monitor pick up a sort of false heart beat.....it's weird i know....

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's the aliens from outer space that cause this problem. :monkey:
DUH!! how could i ever forget that it's the pulse rate from their farts.......

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya i figured it had something to do with the zipper flapping in the wind.