Quantcast

Strange Narcissism

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
you're taking forefathers too literally. It doesn't have to be biological for the relationship to exist and be honored.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
you're taking forefathers too literally. It doesn't have to be biological for the relationship to exist and be honored.

lol, interesting quote on the words of a jewish person.

anyway, so what is enough to be proud of??? be born within the same 15 million square kilometers???? to share what??

i think is a very interesting topic on national identity for that nationalistic kinda people.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i mean, what if i have kids and this kids who did nothing for the US, not have any other relationship than being born in here go around talking about "our forefathers" and inflate their chests on the success of america, like they had anything to do on it.

doesnt it sound to you like the identity crisis in the video of "pretty fly for a white guy"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ALEXIS_DH said:
the fact that judaism is based on a biological mother-child link.
again, you're thinking too literally. Sure, one is automatically a jew if his parents are, but anyone can convert.

I find it interesting that you argue national pride is a silly thing and yet, you've made it quite clear that your from Peru.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
LordOpie said:
again, you're thinking too literally. Sure, one is automatically a jew if his parents are, but anyone can convert.

I find it interesting that you argue national pride is a silly thing and yet, you've made it quite clear that your from Peru.

well i have some thoughts on that. i think national pride is different from heritage pride. you see...

one think is to be proud of your heritage and lineage, and i do agree on that. i feel proud by the some things, my dad, granddad o great grand dad did.

that is one thing, but nationalism is based on the concept of nation-state, and well, if you come from newly arrived citizens (say last 2 generations), and you start to take pride on the things in which you had nothing to to about, like....... its weird.

sometimes they overlap, like if your family have been long enough to actually shape the country where you live, and in that case, well you have something to be proud, or ashamed of. in a way, you can say your heritage and national identity are the same. or other times, national identity partially replaces your heritage identity.

But, if you just got there, its kinda like feeling pride on something others did. isnt it???

so that is why question what would be the minimum link necesarily to have sufficient reason to be proud of, or to actually say your heritage and national identity overlap???

say i decided to stay here after school. should I be proud (like the pride of a man on his house) of the US, even when i have nothing to do with its wellbeing, and i´m basically a tenant??

what about my kids, would they have enough reason based on being born within the same 15mill km2??? my grandkids???

when does the tenant becomes true owner (not only in the legal way of a blue passport)

ALEXIS_DH said:
well i have some thoughts on that. i think national pride is different from heritage pride. you see...

one think is to be proud of your heritage and lineage, and i do agree on that. i feel proud by the some things, my dad, granddad o great grand dad did.

that is one thing, but nationalism is based on the concept of nation-state, and well, if you come from newly arrived citizens (say last 2 generations), and you start to take pride on the things in which you had nothing to to about, like....... its weird.
There in is the question. Does a Non-resident who joins the military so that he can be a citizen deserve to feel rpoud of his accomplishments? I would think so. Does the Non resident who comes over here, gets his citizenship and mooches off welfare, HUD, unemployment and all the other programs for assistance have a right to be proud? Doubt it. What it boils down to is what have you done to make yourself feel proud to be an American.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
hey toshi, if the US had national health care would you still enter the field of medicine?
good question. if it degraded the social status and pay as much as it has in canada then i honestly probably wouldn't. i care as much about helping little babies (and puppy dogs and apple pie and all other "cuddly" things) as the next guy, but signing away a decade+ of my life is serious business.

on the other hand, i do firmly believe that no one should have to worry about health care coverage in the u.s. maybe we could substitute natl health insurance for welfare... :D :nope: