Quantcast

Strange Subaru gauge cluster problem..

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Just now when I was driving my 02 Outback, the tachometer needle randomly started bouncing around for a few seconds then went back to normal. Then a few mins later the speedometer needle dropped down to 0 and stopped working. The tach needle was moving but would only go up to 3k rpm and would drop to 0 at idle. I stopped at a stoplight and 'tried it now' (turned the car off and back on) and everything went back to normal. RM logic finally paid off! :thumb::weee:

But this seems like it could turn into a recurring problem, and I was wondering if anyone here has heard of this, or had this happen.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
check your battery, it might be about to short out... (same problem on a mercury mariner, changed battery, problem solved, my battery was swollen and about to snap...)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I have my doubts. Their install looked really clean. And why would this problem pop up almost a month later and not right after the install?
For teh same reasons Best Buy just paid me 2800 dollars to replace an entire harness in a 2011 jeep they were "professionally" installing an alarm system in.......... It looks clean, yet the connections are ****, and **** was pulled and tugged.......

In all seriousness, I can think of about 20 things that could cause something like this, but If I were diagnosing this, I would start at the recently installed alarm