Quantcast

Stranger Danger

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm looking to sell my car and I have a guy who is super interested. He's ready to go, but he'd like to drive the car back to his house on my plates with his insurance. Then he would mail me back the plates and I would end the registration.

Does that sound reasonable? What do I have to fear from doing this transaction, assuming I have cash in hand?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
This happened to me. I bailed on the deal.

Not sure how much of a rush you're in though. It's hard to sell a car privately unless it's someone you know IMO.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
Drive the car to his house, take the cash and the plates, and sign over the registration. Get a ride home.

If you let him drive it with your registration, you could be liable for damages he may cause. His insurance might be bogus.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What do I have to fear from doing this transaction, assuming I have cash in hand?
guy could turn out to be a suicide bomber. if your name is tied to the vehicle in any way (title, registration, insurance), he'll be having his final bowel movement on your lap. while you may not be implicated, it would be a huge PITA

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the real/best way to do this is to meet at the DMV, because there is where he gets his registration, and can also get temporary plates.

IIRC a title transfer is also be done at the DMV, but proof of insurance for the new owner is required for it. Some states also require some sort of bill of sale.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm looking to sell my car and I have a guy who is super interested. He's ready to go, but he'd like to drive the car back to his house on my plates with his insurance. Then he would mail me back the plates and I would end the registration.

Does that sound reasonable? What do I have to fear from doing this transaction, assuming I have cash in hand?
Were I your insurance agent (and I'm not), I would advise against it. Call the local DMV tag office first and they'll tell you the exact way to keep you legal during the re-titleing of the vehicle. With the sale of a vehicle, there are grace periods for turning in a tag, but nothing involving the above.:(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, my biggest concern is an accident on his way home. Once my plates are off it, and the title is signed over, I don't care what happens to it. As long as it's still registered in my name, I'm still liable for it....I hadn't thought about damage to others, which is a big deal.

Maybe I'll see if I can drive it to him and drop it off. That's what I'd prefer to do, unless he wants to come back to pick it up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'm not concerned, at the moment, in the slightest about a shady deal. Especially if I have cash in hand and he's gone with the car. At that point, how could he rip me off? BUT, as others have pointed out, if he gets into an accident, my insurance is still liable, I think. Better safe than sorry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm not concerned, at the moment, in the slightest about a shady deal. Especially if I have cash in hand and he's gone with the car. At that point, how could he rip me off? BUT, as others have pointed out, if he gets into an accident, my insurance is still liable, I think. Better safe than sorry.
by causing damage that you would be liable for. as long as the title and registration are in your name, even if the vehicle is in his possession, you can be held responsible for damages.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
This doesn't really help you, but I'll share my story anyway because it's better than working. When I bought my allroad, I flew to Chicago and drove it back to PA. I bought it from a private seller, a 50 something woman. I added the car to my insurance before going to Chicago. I looked into what to do about plates and it seemed like the only way was to go to Illinois DMV and get a temp registration, then register it for real once back in PA. So as we were completing the transaction, I asked the seller if I should take the plates off for her. Apparently in IL, you don't have to turn the plates in, so she insisted that I not waste my time going to the DMV and that I just drive it home with her plates on the car. I agreed as it did make things much easier, and just drove somewhat carefully on the 7 hour drive, only pushing it up around 120mph once because I just couldn't resist testing out the V8 on such open highway.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahaha...

well it turns out you can get temp tags in Maine. So, he's gonna grab his own tags, and I get to keep mine...perfect solution. He'll be required to have insurance on the car, and I need to turn in my tags to terminate insurance on the car. Mucho bueno.

on to the next deathtrap.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
hahaha...

well it turns out you can get temp tags in Maine. So, he's gonna grab his own tags, and I get to keep mine...perfect solution. He'll be required to have insurance on the car, and I need to turn in my tags to terminate insurance on the car. Mucho bueno.

on to the next deathtrap.

Keep the bike, sell the car?
Never would have expected that.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Did you already buy something to replace the S6, or still looking?

Keep the bike, sell the car?
Never would have expected that.
still looking, but it won't have 4 rings on it, besides the tires...that's for sure. Love the S6, don't love working on it.

I'm thinking the juke-a-puke or an Infiniti FX35. Something with a dang ol hitch and easy to find replacement parts.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
OT: The gal who I bought my RSX from had personalized license plates, which she kindly included with the transaction. Fast forward a month or so, and "CYAL8R" was replaced the moment my new plates arrived.