Quantcast

Stratos Fork Problems

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Anyone had trouble with Stratos steer tubes not fitting their stems?? I have an azonic shorty which absoultely refuses to mate to my FR4. I got it an inch down, then had to do the old 'coin-in-the-path-of-the-stem-bolts' to loosen it enough to wrench off after 1.5 hours of effort.

Seems like a Thomson goes on with little problem...but only as far as I got the Azonic on. And the Azonic fits my Jr T OK.

Also, I've been having problems with the hub spacing. Dropouts were several mm too close together to fit the hub in...I could barely pry the legs far apart enough to stuff a hub in, even though they WERE parallel and even... I solved it by loosening everything, pulling the stanchions down out of the upper crown, fitting the hub in, then reassembling it all and tightening it down. What's the deal here?

Thanks...

Mike

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by MikeD
Anyone had trouble with Stratos steer tubes not fitting their stems?? I have an azonic shorty which absoultely refuses to mate to my FR4. I got it an inch down, then had to do the old 'coin-in-the-path-of-the-stem-bolts' to loosen it enough to wrench off after 1.5 hours of effort.

Seems like a Thomson goes on with little problem...but only as far as I got the Azonic on. And the Azonic fits my Jr T OK.

Also, I've been having problems with the hub spacing. Dropouts were several mm too close together to fit the hub in...I could barely pry the legs far apart enough to stuff a hub in, even though they WERE parallel and even... I solved it by loosening everything, pulling the stanchions down out of the upper crown, fitting the hub in, then reassembling it all and tightening it down. What's the deal here?

Thanks...

Mike
I've never had a problem with the Stratos steerers, if its the regular shorty stem, sometimes they can be abit finiky do to its clamping system, however it should fit. Hows the spacing now on the hub now that you loosed up everything? Is it still binding? Or is it working smoothly now? Have you now tried to remove the wheel?