Quantcast

Stratos S8 ATF or Fork oil ? also how do you fit fork guards

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Just picked up a nice set of Stratos S8 forks.
I would like to put fresh oil in them and clean them.
Now what would be better Automatic transmission fluid or regular fork oil?
What brand and weight oil would you recomend?

Also there are no holes for fork guards so i can only imagine these came with brackets
to go on the stanchions to accomidate fork guards.
Has anybody got any advice on how to make and fit fork guards?

Thanks for your time

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
He's the guy from the iron man shiver...ie not troll.

IIRC, ATF was used to keep the thing from leaking. I'd go with fork oil and see what happens before ATF. Also, I think people used to use PVC pipe (not kidding) as fork guards, and they'd zip tie them to the bottom of the sliders.

You may want to post in the downhill forum. You'll get a lot of "OMG U R DUM" replies, but there are guys who probably worked for stratos that occasionally show up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He's the guy from the iron man shiver...ie not troll.

IIRC, ATF was used to keep the thing from leaking. I'd go with fork oil and see what happens before ATF. Also, I think people used to use PVC pipe (not kidding) as fork guards, and they'd zip tie them to the bottom of the sliders.

You may want to post in the downhill forum. You'll get a lot of "OMG U R DUM" replies, but there are guys who probably worked for stratos that occasionally show up.
oh derp my bad.

also, anyone that worked for stratos might stay quiet out of fear of litigation from derpalized

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Why, is special ed going to patent the weepy fork with aqua teen hunger force damping? Maybe that's what they use in their e150 fork that people don't like...again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah I know the dealings surrounding the ID damper, and the squeeze play by specialized...but I was under the impression that before the ID damper, things at stratos weren't exactly going too well. There was a tell all in the DH forum by one of the former employees and he said something about them running the business basically without any form of engineering or CS. Thus, ATF therapy was born to temporarily solve the problems of unobtanium seals. I guess they started to come around and build quality again, then specialized out-lawyered them into the ground.