Strava or MapmyRide?

Stravasshole or MapmyBro?

• Total voters

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've been using and loving mapmyride for a while. I hear Strava makes you ultra fast to the point where you can mow down cars. Is it worth switching?

BUFFALO

Vigorous Giver of Reputation
Feb 11, 2005
Renton, wa
I have tried Strava. And what I have found, is that it's not very accurate. At least when comparing to others who have ridden the same route. I think it must have something to do with which device it's being run on. Example; my friend and I started the ride and I finished ahead of him. But his "ride" was 2 minutes faster than me. Pretty big difference. He has an iphone and I have a Droid. But it does seem to be accurate when comparing myself to my own previous rides.
I used Mapmyride to lay out a few different routes and found that it was really easy to use and pretty accurate according to my actual riding. As far as distance, elevation etc.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just set a personal best on this thread.

Maybe it's because I'm new to Strava, but I find it kind of pathetic to try extra hard on a climb just to have a higher internet rank. I'll ride and run at my own pace, and my rank is what it is. I'm not going to bust my balls though in order to beat some random internet person. Of course, all of my rides and runs are slow as hell anyway, so it's a moot point.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
We have already lost Stinkyboy. I don't think we could handle losing you also. Play it safe. Consider us for a change.... Thanks ahead of time....

Your friends at Ridemonkey.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I know you people are old, but sometimes it's nice to see how far you've ridden. I don't need to compare myself to others, especially as I never take the same route twice (that's kind of the point to MTB, amirite?) but I like having an accurate representation of mileage and elevation.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I take my Garmin Edge 705 on all my rides. It records my heart rate along with track, speed, distance, and elevation. Then I upload the tracks to Garmin Connect, fill out the fields, and insert notes about the ride (crash, who was with me, etc). I now have a great database of all my rides since 2008.

I like the Strava segments because I can track my history on that segment and see how I stack up with others. That's why people race right? To see how they stack up?

I know you people are old, but sometimes it's nice to see how far you've ridden. I don't need to compare myself to others, especially as I never take the same route twice (that's kind of the point to MTB, amirite?) but I like having an accurate representation of mileage and elevation.
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. In the pack. Not always, though, I need riding time that's just riding - measurement can become an obsession, and the ride by and of itself is what's important.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i have been using my tacks on my droid. Gives a nice graph, and all the data i need. I dont need the internets to tell me i am slow.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Maybe it's because I'm new to Strava, but I find it kind of pathetic to try extra hard on a climb just to have a higher internet rank. I'll ride and run at my own pace, and my rank is what it is. I'm not going to bust my balls though in order to beat some random internet person. Of course, all of my rides and runs are slow as hell anyway, so it's a moot point.
What gets me is who validates these times? Who's to say I can't get on a Vespa, ride up and down all the hills in Portland besting every climb by JUST enough to be legit? Then people are being jackasses to be my crazy time only to have me beat it next week on my Vespa.

:rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
What gets me is who validates these times? Who's to say I can't get on a Vespa, ride up and down all the hills in Portland besting every climb by JUST enough to be legit? Then people are being jackasses to be my crazy time only to have me beat it next week on my Vespa.

:rofl:
You have a Vespa?

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA

Look at it like a continuous race. And people in a race like to try and be faster than the others whether they know them or not. But like I've said already, I find it really cool to see MY history on a particular segment. I have a few KMs but there are several segments that I know I will never have a shot at the top 5, 10, or heck 50! But a PR prize is always there for me. Plus, haven't you ever thought "I used to be so much faster on that trail" or "I felt like a slug today". Segments are a great way to break down a ride and review each part.

These days most of my rides are spur of the moment and time restricted so I like to get the most out of them as possible. Segment KMs and PRs are one way to do that. But that said, I ONLY use Strava for the segment feature. Everything else about that site is horrible. I'm hoping Garmin Connect will buy Strava just for the segment feature (imagine what the segment rankings would be with GC's userbase!). Oh, and Everytrail for their photo/video tagging.

Last edited: