Quantcast

Strava: what GPS device?

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Judging by some of the negative perspectives expressed of Strava on RM, I won't be shocked if this thread quickly devolves...

That said, here goes:

I like the Strava concept, but I don't use a phone that supports the app. Garmin makes an array of different dedicated GPS devices that do support Strava. Do any of you use and/or have advise as to which Garmin is best for MTB?

ptd

Chimp
Oct 16, 2011
I purchased the Garmin 200 because all I wanted was the GPS tracking, and it was the cheapest.
Turns out it's not as accurate as the Garmin 500.
So I'd recommend the Garmin 500 over the 200.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I use Motion-X GPS for iphone. pretty cheap, works excellent. THe main problem is that iPhone is hell on batteries, but that shouldn't matter for your typical ride.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I use a Garmin 500. I also use the speed/cadence sensor. The sensor along with the GPS will give you far more accurate speed and distance readings.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I really like my Garmin 705. It has navigation, maps, and a training mode where you can race a previous track (you own or someone else's).

Also, Strava is cool for the segement feature but the number geek in me prefers Garmin Connect.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Is accuracy affected by not mounting the Garmin unit on the bars? I have a 500 I've been tossing it in the top pocket of my pack, but on the last couple rides I got some funky data. My GF had a 305 mounted to the bars, and she got wildly different strava data from mine.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Strava works perfect on my Galaxy s2 smartphone. Now that I am running android 4.0, battery life is great as well. I did a 4 1/2 hour ride (moving time) on Saturday and even after uploading the info off my phone, I still had 75% off my battery left. I have done a couple of road rides with people running garmin 500s, and our data
has matched up down to the tenth of a mile. So, my advice would be, if you cannot get a good smartphone for cheaper than the Garmin 500, then get the Garmin and be done with it.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Who hates Strava? It is awesome.
the biggest issue i hear is from folks who assume everyone who uses it is racing (or suddenly in racer mode) and being reckless and inconsiderate of others on shared public trails. yea, dumb.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
This biggest issue I have is when people use it on illegal or secret trails. Besides that it's a great app. I use it when it's appropriate.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I doubt the accuracy of the Strava on my iphone. When I see traces over layed with one another they are off significantly. I wonder if Garmin is more accurate?

I can't believe a magazine hasn't done a proper comparison review considering the popularity...

EDIT: Example...

Strave screen grap.jpg

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Pick whichever one is the most inaccurate in hopes of accidentally getting a KOM from glitching super bad. Cheating will feel bad at first, but it will be totally worth it to see your buddies get their panties in a bunch over a couple of ones and zeros stored on a server somewhere in California.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Who hates Strava? It is awesome.
Hate is a strong word. For me it only applies to how I feel about people tracking illegal trails. "Annoyed" is a better description of how I feel about people using Strava to ruin otherwise perfectly good rides. But I'm not a racer and I don't spend much time measuring myself against others.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I purchased the Garmin 200 because all I wanted was the GPS tracking, and it was the cheapest.
Turns out it's not as accurate as the Garmin 500.
So I'd recommend the Garmin 500 over the 200.
I see... so different level of broadcast/receive ability? How did you realize the difference?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i use map my ride on my galaxy s2 and its fairly accurate. My riding buddies use strava on there iphone 5s and they always get different readings on distance from each other. I like the idea of the strava koms etc but the inaccuracy of it means the league tables for the koms dont really hold much weight

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
A co-worker and I ride a criterium once a week and track it on Strava. He uses his iPhone 3S and I use my Motorola Droid 4. According to Strava he regularly runs through walls and over houses on fast turns. My maps are always super accurate. He typically ends up with slightly more distance than I do. Over speeds for the most part are pretty close. Kinda splitting hairs and on a trail it wouldn't make a big difference.

iPhone 3S

Droid 4