Quantcast

Street peddelers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I don't think this as an annoying street peddler. I think of a guy carrying a Mac-10 who was willing to open up with it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Martinez turned and fired with a machine pistol that held 30 rounds, getting off two shots before it jammed, police said. The officer fired four times, striking Martinez in the chest and arms and killing him, police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
good shooting for a foot chase :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think that the NRA needs to step in and protect the *real* victims in this case, the poor gun dealers in VA who sold these guns legally (or just happened to have them stolen). They're the ones who are now going to be getting bad publicity, when all they're doing is exercising their right to sell thousands upon thousands of guns to a small number of unscrupulous straw buyers who traffic them up to the north east. Lets hold a fundraiser for these poor stores who are doing nothing but protecting our SECOND AMENDMENT, the only part of the Bill of Rights that we're interested in upholding.

USA! USA! USA!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So it's the dealers fault this NYC douche decides to take shots at a cop in Times Square?
We should also prosecute the CD manufacturers that allowed their products to enable their scam. This poor soul would've led a productive life had these vices not been forced upon him by lobbying groups!

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So it's the dealers fault this NYC douche decides to take shots at a cop in Times Square?
We should also prosecute the CD manufacturers that allowed their products to enable their scam. This poor soul would've led a productive life had these vices not been forced upon him by lobbying groups!
Didn't you read my post? I said it WASN'T the dealers fault. They're the only blameless ones in this whole mess. Just because 1% of gun dealers supply 60% of the guns recovered from crime scenes doesn't mean that they're complicit in any way. They're just supporting our SECOND GODDAMN AMENDMENT by selling thousands upon thousands of guns to shady and questionable characters, and have no idea that those guns are being trafficked up to areas where it is harder to buy a firearm.

I mean, what's a gun store supposed to do when 2 people walk in to buy a gun, and one picks it out but the other fills out all the paperwork?. Figuring out that that was a straw buy would be HARD! And thank God (and the VA legislature) for prohibiting any type of investigations from out of state into whether gun dealers were acting illegally, too. That's the last thing we need, is people going into these shops with video cameras to see what's actually going on there... I mean, without looking into these activities, we can just assume that everything is legal, above ground, and are surprised when it turns out that one of the guns that was used in a crime *actually* came from VA!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In 1993, Virginia enacted a law permitting only one handgun sale per month (unless you were a CCW permit holder).

The murder rate in NYC dropped that year from a record 2000+ murders, and within 6 years, had halved.

There were several factors, such as stemming the crack trade and Giuliani running the city, but limiting gun sales to New Yorkers, who would buy several at once in Virginia, was critical.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Yeah, punish the other 99% to defend against the 1%.
Instead of blaming other states for supplying arms to NY criminals, NY should ask why they have so many criminals. The 'weak law' states legislation is designed for their constituents, not that of d-bag states like NY and NJ whose 'tough' laws only spread their filth to surrounding states to feed their arms habit.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Instead of blaming other states for supplying arms to NY criminals, NY should ask why they have so many criminals. The 'weak law' states legislation is designed for their constituents, not that of d-bag states like NY and NJ whose 'tough' laws only spread their filth to surrounding states to feed their arms habit.
Why there are so many criminals? See Jersey Shore.

BTW, I hear Virginia has a bit of a crime problem too. Or you don't consider Northern Virginia part of the state like Palin?

Don't be a retard about this. The major East Coast cities have crime problems that no where else suffers from. Do you think post 9/11 NYC has ineffective policing or too liberal of a justice system?

Conversely, who buys 2 handguns a month? And you can, if you get a CCW.

The "Not-My-Problem" attitude to gun sales is a huge part of the murder problem in America.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't really understand what you are saying here....NY is one of the safest cities with the lowest crime rates in the country....seems like something is working

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Murder is a people problem, not a gun law problem and not necessarily a policing/justice problem. It's also not unique to the major NE cities or the USA.

Poor business practices by 1% of gun dealers shouldn't result in new laws applying to all gun dealers. I have zero issue with gun control that allows reasonable access but there will always be people thwarting the law (straw buyers, bad dealers) and you can't write laws to address every possibility. That mentality, if applied to every hazard in life, would bring society to a standstill.

BTW, I'm not a NRA member and currently don't own any guns (though I grew up with them starting at 8yo).

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I don't really understand what you are saying here....NY is one of the safest cities with the lowest crime rates in the country....seems like something is working
Yes it is working (other than the occasional illegal street pedaler shooting at cops with mac-10s in times square.)

My point is that NY trying to dictate other states laws (read dantes links), to prevent NY criminals from bypassing NY laws, is going too far.

Edit:
It would be interesting to compare NYCs declining crime rate with the gentrification of the city.
My old neighborhood in chicago was a crime-ridden ****hole when I moved there (shots every day, junkies, hookers, B&Es). 10 years later, my biggest fear is not wearing the latest fashions.

Last edited:

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
You know watching from a distance, some of the justifications you guys come up with to ensure you all get to keep shooting each other are amazing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yes it is working (other than the occasional illegal street pedaler shooting at cops with mac-10s in times square.)

My point is that NY trying to dictate other states laws (read dantes links), to prevent NY criminals from bypassing NY laws, is going too far.

Edit:
It would be interesting to compare NYCs declining crime rate with the gentrification of the city.
My old neighborhood in chicago was a crime-ridden ****hole when I moved there (shots every day, junkies, hookers, B&Es). 10 years later, my biggest fear is not wearing the latest fashions.
Have you been to New York City?

Yeah, Times Square was cleaned up. Think Bed-Stuy, 145th and Lenox, the South Bronx, and Jamaica are yuppie paradises?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You know watching from a distance, some of the justifications you guys come up with to ensure you all get to keep shooting each other are amazing.
If you knew more Americans, you might want to go on a shooting rampage yourself...

Rage is the national emotion.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
What kind of moron gives someone $10 for writing their name on a CD? Business must be good though if he needs a machine gun to deter usurpers.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yep. I've been to much sketchier cities too. It's not nearly as bad-ass or unique as NYers think it is.
Hahahaha!

Are you just trying to be contrary?

I was struck at one thing: I was in town for a conference a few years ago and the Yankees won the World Series. At the same time, Fashion Week, which determines ALL the major lines for the spring, was going on.

I doubt the two subsets intersected.

Very few cities could claim one world-effecting event, and New York was having two.

And I agree, New York is not as dangerous as Gary or Richmond. Partly in thanks to the gun laws of Virginia.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I was struck at one thing: I was in town for a conference a few years ago and the Yankees won the World Series. At the same time, Fashion Week, which determines ALL the major lines for the spring, was going on.

I doubt the two subsets intersected.

Very few cities could claim one world-effecting event, and New York was having two.
Nobody gives a sh1t about the Yankees.