Quantcast

Street setup for Soul Cycles Loki

bdb205

Chimp
Jan 1, 2007
(I've attempted to do my research in the last few days on this subject, but most probably haven't done enough, so please bare with me.)

So I've been looking for a good frame to build up that was both cheap and of atleast minimum quality for what I needed. I found that Soul Cycles had their '05(I assume) Loki raw frames on sale for $99. Hell, I figured that was as good of a deal as I was going to come by. So as of right now, I have emailed them and attempting to get that order in. So here's where I need help:

First of all, I simply want this bike pretty much for street. I live in south Louisiana(Baton Rouge) and well...there aren't many trails around the area to say the least. ha Therefore, I don't really think I need a suspension fork. I'm assuming simply for street a rigid would be fine. Any clue as to which one would be best for such an application? The Loki runs a 1-1/8 headset, so I'd imagine most BMX rigids would fit right in. Just don't have a clue as to which might be more fitting for this application. I've read certain descriptions of some rigid forks that say they're 4-5 inch travel compatabile, and I think that's what the Loki is set up for(a 80-120 mm travel fork.) I'd also like the rigid fork to be disc compatible if at all possible.

Would it be wise to run just a disc up front, and nothing...or at most a v-brake in the back? I've seen alot of bikes running with just a rear disc/v-brake but it seems to make more sense for me to have the disc up front. But hell, what do I know. ha

I'm aware that because the Loki has vertical drop-outs and if I want to run a single speed set up, I'm going to have to do some type of chain tensioning. Best idea? I've found a few tensioners that seem simple...just can't remember the websites. Any info/opinions on this would be good.

I have NO clue as to what type of rim/hub would be best to run with this set up. Once again....only for street, doesn't need to be extremely strong...I would enjoy it being light, but I'll make do. I've read up on tires enough, and the maxxis hookworms seem decent enough.

So that about wraps up my questions/issues. To top it all off I'll say that I'm ATTEMPTING to keep this build under $600 or so, which I think would be reasonable seeing as though I'm not at all opposed to buying used components and the frame is so cheap. ANY help would be appreciated with this. I'm not looking for anything fancy...just something fun and that can get me back and forth from school a few times a week(Decided on the 24' for that reason). Thanks

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
FUNN makes a 20mm ridgid fork that is disk compatiable and I believe 100mm suspension corrected. $100ish I think

I would look for a used 24" wheelset on RM, Im sur eone can be had for under $150

Same goes for cranks, whole setup w/ ring and arms should be under $100 (used)

Avid mechs disk brakes can be had for under $75 a pair

All that + frame is about $550 and then you'd need bar/stem, grips, chain, tires, seatpost and seat. If your frugal you should be able to hang right around $600. I would, however, just reccomend you buy a used complete online where you could get a nicer bike for a similar price. Just my 2 cents, good luck.

bdb205

Chimp
Jan 1, 2007
Can't say the cannondale doesn't look nice for the price. Perhaps I'll check it out.