Quantcast

Street/Trail tires???

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
What do you recomend for tires that will make the jump from street to trail? I'm thinking either Kenda K-Rads or Maxxis Larsen TTs. Anyone else have any thoughts?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
jeremy said:
arrow launch!

awesome on both
I really like the arrow lauch.

larsen tts are don't hold up very well (especially in the back) they rip & wear quickly.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
Larson TT's, i've heard, are awesome, and stabile just about anywhere. however, i've also heard great things about the maxxis hookworm. it might be unstable in the front on loose dirt, but if you run that in the back and put a Larson in the front, then there's a fast rollin, bitchin combo there

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
highroller semi-slicks, theyre great tires for what you want to do, either that or a semi-slick in the front and a 1 ply hookworm in the back

Morgan

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I've got a hookworm in the back and it's pretty good, haven't had any problems in the dirt or gravel but you really got to be easy on the brakes in wet grass cuz it'll slip out on you 20 times faster then a knobby

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
- Hookworms are tanks, awesome for pavement, but suffer on loose/dusty dirt, price is ok.
- Arrows have good grip on both, leaning towards dirt, but are expensive and wear fast.
- K-Rads are the most neutral of the two, being better than arrows on street, and are dirt cheap.

The above's what I gathered from my own experience and talking with others about these three, and the k-rads seem to be the winner because they're the most neutral in addition to being light and really cheap.

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
Superdeft said:
- Hookworms are tanks, awesome for pavement, but suffer on loose/dusty dirt, price is ok.
- Arrows have good grip on both, leaning towards dirt, but are expensive and wear fast.
- K-Rads are the most neutral of the two, being better than arrows on street, and are dirt cheap.

The above's what I gathered from my own experience and talking with others about these three, and the k-rads seem to be the winner because they're the most neutral in addition to being light and really cheap.
I don't know what arrows you are talking about but the launches grip like crazy on street and park and only cost 25 a peice. The side wall are nice and stiff too. Kenda's side wall are to thin in my opinion.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I've used all three, k-rads, Arrow Launchs, and Maxxis. K-rads, are the cheapest, $20 a piece, they are great for skatepark, dirt jumps, and street, I think the arrows grip a little bit better at the Dirt jumps than the K-rads, and I know the arrows are a bit better for skateparks, The K-rads do provide a little better ride because they are a little wider then the Arrows, but you can't really go wrong with either, just pump em up to about 50-55lbs, and go for it! Oh and both are a better choice than maxis, DJ's and street.