Quantcast

Strenghts/Weakness in mtb.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
What are your strenghts/weakness in mountain biking? For me, my strength would have to be drops, cuz I can angle into the tranny really well. My weakness, doubles, I hate them, they hate me. What are yours?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Strengths: I can stay on two wheels most of the time.

Weaknesses: I cannot hit a jump for my life. I cannot ride any urban or trials, pretty much any moves that require finesse. I have an uncanny ability to hit trees. I am afraid of heights, so the second I get to something steep or a drop I usually grab the brakes and walk down. My fear of heights is that bad.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Polandspring88 said:

Weaknesses: I cannot hit a jump for my life. I cannot ride any urban or trials, pretty much any moves that require finesse. I have an uncanny ability to hit trees. I am afraid of heights, so the second I get to something steep or a drop I usually grab the brakes and walk down. My fear of heights is that bad.
Hey, as long as you have fun its all good.:)

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Strengths:
Rocks. I can pin it through nasty rock gardens pretty well.

Corners. I do pretty good on most types of corners.

Weaknesses
jumping/dropping. Not so hot at it and the trails here don't give me much chance to practice (the landing is usually more pointy rocks)

climbing:I'm getting better at it, but I still climb slow and push my bike if its really steep

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Polandspring88 said:

Here, here. I thought that I was pretty much a bike pvssy last season, but with even less practice this year, I am even more tentative and cautious. If I didn't enjoy it so damn much, I'd probably have greater competitive advantage just doing something else for fun.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Strengths:
- corners
- anything steep, fast and/or rocky.
- technical climbing

Weaknesses:
- "going big" I have a really hard time with mentally. I've done it, generally with good results, but I have a hard time going for it.
- Drops: I have a hard time with ones that look like your about to launch off the face of the earth, even though you know otherwise.
- Jumps: jumps in general are cool, commitment style jumps and bigger doubles I have a really hard time with. I like to be able to work up to stuff.
- Consistency: Sometimes I feel I can do no wrong, sometimes it just isn't there and the more frustrated I get, the worse I ride.
- Racing: The mental side of racing is probably the hardest thing about riding to me. I usually get beat by guys I know I'm faster than. It's frustrating.
- Prioritizing: I tend to let other aspects of my life slip in order to go ride my bike. Not such a bad thing, but I really, really need to finish painting my house...

Mediums:
- Climbing/endurance: About six months ago this would have been a weakness. I've always been pretty good at short technical climbs, but my endurance sucked. If I had to climb I would be so gassed on the downhills. I'm much better now, but it isn't quite a "strength" yet.

*edit*
Wow, that was really long.
Weird.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Strengths: I wouldn't say I'm a good climber, but I'm proud of the fact that I am constantly making improvements in climbing. The big breakthru of the past couple of years was breathing / conserving heart beats.

Weaknesses: I have some weird slow speed balance issues at times. Makes for some real silly crashes.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Weakneses:
braking too much in turns.
going for the safe but slow lines.
doubles!
climbing (slow but steady)

Strengths:
getting better at hitting techy stuff with speed
falling (I am donig great with my stop, drop and roll techniques).
pumping obstacles on the backside - keeping/boosting speed without pedaling.
Reading the trail fairly far out.
"Scripting": keeping good mental notes on where obstacles are/ times to shift, etc. for a race run...(for once my memory seems to work!)

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Weaknesses -
1. Climbing, climbing, and climbing.
2. Working too much and not riding enough.

Strengths -
1. Descend ok (although not if it is steep and technical, I get eaten up by some of the shat at P'kill).
2. Usually bring good beer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
strengths -

• have managed to find awesome deals on used bikes...the days of forking out $$$ for custom builds ended in '00.
  • having fun. i think i manage to have a good time most every ride i do
  • having a great group of people to ride w/ . this is big.
  • can do pretty well in wet riding conditions
  • being able to (relatively) hold my own on a DH course. i won't do big drops, go the fastest, or the like, but i'd like to think i can move along ok and hit the medium-sized drops w/o killing myself.

weaknesses -

• i could use some more fitness
  • i'm getting better, but still brake too much in the turns
  • dirt jumps/gap jumps (nada)
  • can't wheelie or manual to save my life
  • rudimentary trials skills are limited to small side hops and rear wheel hops
  • finding the time to ride (esp DH)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Weaknesses: My bike, the amount I ride

Strengths: Gullibility on the difficulty of certain sections and go for it
Slow balancy stuff...
My good looks.

Mind you, this is all relative...

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
dogwonder said:
Weaknesses -
1. Climbing, climbing, and climbing.
2. Working too much and not riding enough.

Strengths -
1. Descend ok (although not if it is steep and technical, I get eaten up by some of the shat at P'kill).
2. Usually bring good beer.
Blue has loads of climbing. I love it for that, hate it for the off camber stuff. We could hit that if you want climbing conditioning.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
N8 said:
Strenghts: I can afford about any bike I want

Weakness: I can afford about any bike I want
just dont buy a bike thats too good for you, then people look at the bike and make the connection that you must be good cuz thats what people do, and if you dont ride often you can humiliate yourself, thats what my friend is like

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
strengths: everytime i ride its fun no matter if i fall a ton or burn every run.

weakness: finding people who want to ride when i want to ride

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
narlus said:
strengths -

• having fun. i think i manage to have a good time most every ride i do
  • having a great group of people to ride w/ . this is big.
Best post so far. I can't believe I overlooked these as strengths. On of my biggest assets is an awesome group of fun people from all ages and walks of life.

Every time I ride I think about how lucky I am.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
kidwoo said:
My biggest weakness is laughing at guys with knee pads for protection coupled with spando suits which disentigrate at the lightest abrasion.
I was hoping to find a white roadie outfit to wear at the SloppyOtter this year. Yes, I would have worn kneepads (and a full face to conceal my identity).

Skidmarks are cool... as long as they aren't on the trail...

(Those things are damn expensive though.)

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Strengths -
1.Drops
2. Jumps
3. Corners
4. High speeds

Weaknesses -
1.Mud
2.Climbing
3.Finding people to ride with
4. crashing - I have trouble bailing. Sometimes I'll crash and keep my feet on the pedals.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
Heres some more for me.
Strengths: jumps(not doubles),drops,wet conditions, I'll ride in any weather, amazing people with the stuff I do.

Weakness:finding people to ride with(since I'm so young), steeps, left hip jumps.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
weaknesses:
skinnies
tricks
corners
laying off the brakes and pinning it
pumping
pushing my limits when racing

strengths:
rock gardens
most root sections

i guess theres other stuff but i dont think about it much. cornering and laying off the brakes is what i really need to focus on at this point.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Strengths:
Corners
Loose/slick Conditions
Can't get lost when on the bike.
Sprinting
Being light on the bike.
Fast on singletrack.

Weaknesses:
Patience
Racing

In transition:

Climbing, getting pretty good with that.