Quantcast

Strenthwise, what do the new deemax wheels compare to?

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
Self explanatory. I'm looking at these and want to know if they can take a beating. I have Hugi 440's laced to 6.1 rims, and they tend to dent easily. Thanks.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
The rim strength is good...

The hub on the other hand isn't. The flanges come apart if stressed.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Self explanatory. I'm looking at these and want to know if they can take a beating. I have Hugi 440's laced to 6.1 rims, and they tend to dent easily. Thanks.
You have an awsome set of hubs just relace them with Arrow dhh rims or Mavic 729s or Atomlab pimp rims or Sun MTX rims.

I had the same wheelset, destroyed the 6.1d rims in a season then rebuilt them with Sun MTX rims.
Did you convert your rear Hugi/440 to bolt on?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
You have an awsome set of hubs just relace them with Arrow dhh rims or Mavic 729s or Atomlab pimp rims or Sun MTX rims.

I had the same wheelset, destroyed the 6.1d rims in a season then rebuilt them with Sun MTX rims.
Did you convert your rear Hugi/440 to bolt on?
or better yet, replace the rims with Mavic 823s, they're the same rims on the deemaxs.. you'll have the good part of the deemaxs and not the bad part..

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
or better yet, replace the rims with Mavic 823s, they're the same rims on the deemaxs.. you'll have the good part of the deemaxs and not the bad part..
Not anymore the 09 deemax has some new rims not the 823's. Look closer at the photos.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Unless you want tubless I would still do Arrows. American made and stronger the just about everything else
American made is good, and those are nice, but they aren't tubeless and they weigh something like a pound more for the pair. I'll take the Mavics, they're a really nice rim, but I'll put in another vote to skip the Mavic hubs, they're too much work to keep running well.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Not anymore the 09 deemax has some new rims not the 823's. Look closer at the photos.
I'm pretty sure they have the same profile and measurements, but they're machined between the spokes to save weight. The rims on my Crossmax ST's are identical to 819's except for the machine work/spoke count.

RPG

Monkey
Jun 14, 2004
All over New England
I'm looking to go tubeless, which is why i had an interest in the Deemax. The rear hub is a 150mm spacing too, not that it matters. I guess i could go ghetto tubeless too. I also have crossmax xl on my trail bike. The rims are strong, but the hubs are not that great.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
as was said in a prior post the 823 is the same rim as the deemax Keep your hubs use 823 rims and go tubeless as the 823 rim is a tubless rim.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
as was said in a prior post the 823 is the same rim as the deemax Keep your hubs use 823 rims and go tubeless as the 823 rim is a tubless rim.
Only other tubless rim specifically would be a Stan's DH rim. At least that I know of. But, I can't comment on their duribility because i have never used them.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
With some parts machined out. That means it's no longer the heaviest mavic rim on the market. I doubt that saves less than 50g a rim. Wouldn't be suprised if they weighted around the 721 weight. I'd love to try them as a rim only. I only worry if they'd last with dt revolutions.