Quantcast

Stress fracture..

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok I';m now like 99% sure I have stress fracture. I've been having sore shines splints on and off all summer. I took some time off running this winter, 2 weeks. There was no inprovement, it's a localized pain on the inside of my shine on the lower part of my lower right leg. It hurts when I press on the bone in that area and thats been the case for a good part of last summer and is still the case. I'm going to go to the doctot but this is quebec so medicare is useless. Any suggestions?

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Take up swimming for a while. Ice a ton. Milk or calcium supplements. Lots of ice. Ace wrap or pressure wrap of some kind may help. Stay off of it for a while(crutches maybe).

Time and rest is the best cure for those. Get it checked out though as it may be something more than a stress fracture. New shoes might be necessary as well. Look for something with good arch support(my problem). A good running shop should be able to fit you with what you need.

The Ito

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
happened to me... i thought i would just limp around, because it was about the pain level of a sprain, but i got a cast and was mad i even went to the docter

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
SuspectDevice said:
Go to a friggin doctor, it's free up there for chrissakes!
Already did, long since. Yup it's a stress fracture, I'll be able to start slowly into running again mid-April. :drool:

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
Serial Midget said:
That is odd... guys your age seldom suffer stress factures, usually they are reserved for post-menopausal women. :sneaky:
You can get a stress fracture at any age, I have known people in their 20's through their 60's with stress fractures... from lacrosse in college to running, etc.
Take time off for a bit or it will only get worse... Trust me, I know time off stinks, but I have been rehabbing a fractured femur for five months and hope be racing in late August at the earliest....

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Serial Midget said:
That is odd... guys your age seldom suffer stress factures, usually they are reserved for post-menopausal women. :sneaky:
No, anyone can get them. Very common in marathon runners and triathletes. It comes from running to much to soon. You're mainly a trail runner i believe? iin which case thats why you've prolly never had one.

jon cross

Monkey
Jan 27, 2004
Banner Elk, NC
I assume you know about running on a good track or on dirt instead of pavement- I've had issues with knees from that before. You're right- read up on some of the more common injuries you see in USMC bootcamp and you'll find stress fractures high on the list- and these are typically 17-19 year old athletic kids. Like JMAC said, it's just a matter of too much too soon. With triathletes and cyclists it might be worse, because we are fitter and capable of running harder, but our bodies aren't used to supporting all of our weight in that way- the bike handles a lot of that for us.

Jun 18, 2004
I think I have a strss fctr on my foot... I rolled my foot off the pdls on a 6ft ledge to flat (urban) drop on my Banshee Scrm... that was like a month ago and the pain comes a goes... it hurts across my foot vertically just behind the 'ball' of my foot; where we pedal from... I'm going back to work for 7 nights and if it pursists I think it will be time for more x rays... damn I'm growing tired of getting x rays... time for my daily-dose of glucosimine, calcium, and others... some how geritol dosn't seem that far off...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You don't get stress fractures from blunt trauma. What you are discribing sounds more like a bone bruise or microfracture. You should still get it checked out though!