Quantcast

Stripped hanger

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Here's the deal:

Someone payed me to tune up their bike, so I took the derailleur off to straighten the hanger. The first few threads were stripped out, so I accidentally cross-threaded the tool and messed up the hanger. I don't want to buy a new one, as I'm leaving in a few hours to go backpacking and I don't have time to drive 45 min. to the Trek shop. What are my other options? I've heard of helicoils, but what are they? How long does it take?

Thanks guys!

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
If you have access to a der. tap, just fill the damaged thread area with JB weld, let it cure, drill it out, and retap it. Yes, JB weld will work just fine for that.

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
Browns Summit, NC
or just spring the 15 bucks for a new der hanger. They did pay you to work on it. If you worked in a shop and did that youd just replace it anyway, you wouldnt JB weld it. at least id hope not. The other thing you can do if its cross threaded is put the dropout tool thru the back and thread it back thru, thats assuming you are using a park dropout tool and didnt cross it completely. Or if you have a Der hanger Tap just use that. Most cases you wont even need JB weld unless its completely stripped out. The helicoil route is doable but for the price of the helicoil and tool you may as well jsut buy the dropout there so cheap anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Man up and pay for the hanger. If you took money from your friend, then you better do it right.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The whole issue was I couldn't get to the Trek shop in time to return it to them when they wanted it. If I rigged something up real quick I would have replaced the derailleur hanger when I got back. I have long since bought a new one, so I don't see what the problem is.