Quantcast

Strong bike?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
So my buddy is 6'3" 275lbs. He rides a hardtail and beats the shyt out of any bike. I'm looking into a freeride/DH bike for him. Any Ideas?

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Yeah, i thought the banshee would be a good bet. Can't find one cheap for him......yeah he's kinda broke so I'm probably going to help him out.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by HRDTLBRO
What about a Specialized Bigiht? Those are really strong, too. Awesome components choice this year.
Good warrenty to boot. i could probably find a comp pretty cheap. Thanx bro. I was also thinkign bullit but with the side loads on the shock he'd need an avy and that's too much $$.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Lexx D
So my buddy is 6'3" 275lbs. He rides a hardtail and beats the shyt out of any bike. I'm looking into a freeride/DH bike for him. Any Ideas?
Hmmm..........a Long used bb7 would do the trick!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by MMcG
Hmmm..........a Long used bb7 would do the trick!
I ride a BB7 and it's strong enough but I've bent enough shock axles to have concern. I'll see what i can find. Do you know what the heaviest spring you can fit in an 01 is?

YETI187

Chimp
Nov 28, 2003
i'm a MAsshole!!!
i second the banshee scream. you should be able to find one easily since you can get them through QBP (a common bikeshop catalogue, at least in the US), as far as findong one cheap... try and find a used one. they have a 10 year warranty, so the company stands behind their product.

snapped scream frames are like an urban legend. i've heard a few stories, but never seen any proof.

also, if your friend isn't gonna do super hucking or anything, he should be able to get away with a lighter bike. i'm 6'3" and weigh 260lbs, and rode a jamis komodo for my all-around bike for ayear until i snapped the splined axle in half by landing a drop to flat with the cranks flat. i was broke, but had an old BB to fit a replacement i-drive frame, so i built that up. so far it's holding up well, granted i haven't been doing drops on it though. i did replace the POS upper shock mount bolt with a big one from the hardware store, and plan on doing the same with the bottom shock mount bolt as well.

i'm also planning on buying a specialized bighit soon, and second the motion that specialized has a great warranty

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The company that I work for, makes a downhill bike. None have ever broken, and I've been trying to break one for 1 1/2 years. Big drops to flat, etc.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by crashedupderby
tell him to lose weight and he can ride whatever he wants....obesity is a growing epidemic in america.
Yeah i'd like to see you call him fat to his face:nuts: ,In all honesty and not talking shyt he'll probably break your arm or something:dead: I hope after that comment your on the west coast.....oh yeah we're moving there next year. Sorry you should probably leave the country it's not safe for you here:D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by TWISTED
The company that I work for, makes a downhill bike. None have ever broken, and I've been trying to break one for 1 1/2 years. Big drops to flat, etc.
And what company is this?

Sep 17, 2003
Yeah i'd like to see you call him fat to his face:nuts: ,In all honesty and not talking shyt he'll probably break your arm or something:dead: I hope after that comment your on the west coast.....oh yeah we're moving there next year. Sorry you should probably leave the country it's not safe for you here:D
dude, bring it. i got a hard arm to break.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
dude, bring it. i got a hard arm to break.
AHH, tough guy internet shyt talking. I love it.

Reminds me of the end of jay and silent bob strike back. When they go around kicking the shyt out of all the little dorks that talked shyt online. Whatever bro

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Thanx to those who responded with info instead of insults.

Banshee was on the top of my list but part of it is coming out of my pocket and that is where the $$ issue is.

Sep 17, 2003
AHH, tough guy internet shyt talking. I love it.

Reminds me of the end of jay and silent bob strike back. When they go around kicking the shyt out of all the little dorks that talked shyt online. Whatever bro
maybe you dont understand common courtesy and respect. i never called your freind fat in the first place. then you said he would break my arm.
you dont know me and i am not trying to talk ****, i am stating facts. you said your friend would break my arm. if he wants to, come on by and we will see.
other wise , tell him to call jenny craig and learn proper eating habits and exercise.
then he can buy whatever bike he wants.
this is not tough internet guy talking ****, i am not some ashville loving lesbian who makes bikes that only me an my friends love to ride but noone else will buy.
like i said, you do not know me and common courtesy is to not say your (or your friend) is going to do me physical bodily harm.

so i have wasted my breathe on another one....yes

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
maybe you dont understand common courtesy and respect. i never called your freind fat in the first place. then you said he would break my arm.
you dont know me and i am not trying to talk ****, i am stating facts. you said your friend would break my arm. if he wants to, come on by and we will see.
other wise , tell him to call jenny craig and learn proper eating habits and exercise.
this is not tough internet guy talking ****, i am not some ashville loving lesbian who makes bikes that only me an my friends love to ride but noone else will buy.
like i said, you do not know me and common courtesy is to not say your (or your friend) is going to do me physical bodily harm.

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY

Common courtesy is not to call people fat who are not.
Why am I still responding? You called my friend fat(yes/no). I tried(and it came out wrong I am sorry) to explain it's not exercise that's the problem, he's a big person(muscle). i stated "In all honesty and not talking shyt he'll probably break your arm or something" I was wrong to threaten you and that was not the intention.
Again you came out and said "obesity is a growing epidemic" that to me is an insult to my friend and yes I responded(you insult my friend I threaten you, that's what friends do stick up for one another). It's done, unless you have any ideas for what bikes can hold up to his abuse end it.:angry:

Sep 17, 2003
"obesity is a growing epidemic" that to me is an insult to my friend
i dont mean to prolong the off thread comments, and i did not mean to insult anyone, however in the name of truth i must respond. obesity is a growing epidemic in america, just look around at people the next time you feel the need to get mauled at the mall or any other event where large numbers of consumers congregate.

I call truce. lets be freinds...:)

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Yeah I'm going with a big hit. Strong enough for normal riding and the 24 inch wheel is probably better suited for his size.

Truce, Yes obesity is a problem. I had a customer today who must have been 400 pounds. Luckily I don't have to find a bike for him.:D

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
I would seriously look at a Dirtbag, they are cheap and tough. I have been beating the crap out of mine for just under a year and it is still going strong, no one has broke a frame yet. Plus they come with a romic shock and Kyle will set you up real nice with what ever you need. :thumb: