Quantcast

Strong rims for spin tricks?

Oct 8, 2003
What type of rim or what rims specificly hold up well to spin tricks? I have some stock alex rims that came on my P1 that if you land 180s at 179* or 181* bend out of true. I know no rims are going to be perfect but these alex rims are really bad.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
I use a 48 spoke Halo SAS for the rear.
Had it since last June and even with a flat spot, holds up well.
And I spin like Tammy, The cardio spin instructor at your local Golds Gym.... Well maybe not that much.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
if you are getting flatspots you need to run higher pressure in your tires. when you're trying stuff out on the street it's good to have your rear pumped up to at least 65 or preferably more for ultimate rim saveage. on my 26er i run 65 up front with a 2.35 tire and 75+ rear with a 2.2 tire. no problems with flatspots what so ever, and my front rim is a single track(known for flatspotting easily.)

if you're set on new rims check out anything from atomlab.

Oct 8, 2003
Sorry guess I wasn't clear. I don't get flat spots at all, I need a rim that will stay true while doing spinning tricks. I know if you really land wrong it is not going to hold up but like I said in the first post if I am doing a 180 off a ledge and I land it at 179 or 181 basicaly almost perfect plus or minus 1 degree of rotation the rim bends really bad very easy. I can run 35psi with no issue of flat spots. I have never really had an issue with that its just a rim that will hold up on side to side forces.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Sorry guess I wasn't clear. I don't get flat spots at all, I need a rim that will stay true while doing spinning tricks. I know if you really land wrong it is not going to hold up but like I said in the first post if I am doing a 180 off a ledge and I land it at 179 or 181 basicaly almost perfect plus or minus 1 degree of rotation the rim bends really bad very easy. I can run 35psi with no issue of flat spots. I have never really had an issue with that its just a rim that will hold up on side to side forces.

Yeah I think he was replying to my remark when I mentioned something about a flat spot on my rim. I know what you mean, there's only a few 26" rims out there that'll hold up to that side lateral force for 180's and all I'm saying is I'm using those Halo's and they're holing up great. But there is a few more choices I'm sure, I just don't have any experience with'um.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
also look into the sun double track. those things are tank. i use to run them on my trials bike and i would land moving sideways on them all the time no problem. i still use the wheel on my atomlab trailking and i have another set on my dh bike

oxman

Chimp
Jul 2, 2007
i weigh 230lbs and have never had a problem with the mavic 729's that i am running on my dirt jumper, i case frequently and pretty hard, i under rotate on spin tricks as well as over rotate, i've even landed completely sideways on several occasions over the last year or so and i've only had to tighten the spokes once since i built them; by tighten i mean just that, the rims have stayed true with not a single flat spot for almost a year. they might be a little bit heavier than some rims, but with butted spokes and a decently light hub its not something you'll notice too much. i think you can find a pretty good deal on some 06 or 07 models. i am running the 06 model (front 32h, rear 36h) @ 50 psi on concrete and dj's, to as low as 25psi on the trails.

Oct 8, 2003
cool thanks guys Ill take a look at those rims. I want to run 36 hole so the 48 spoke rim is out. By the responses I got I feel like there are MTB rims that will hold up.(im only 165lbs) I was wondering if it was just the way things were going to be cause when I was on BMX I never had an issue cause the wheels were so small but I will take a look at some new rims. I love to spin but don't have the money to replace my rear rim once a week. so I think I will ditch the stock rims for some more burly rims, im not too concerned on weight because I am not racing this bike but I also don't want to make the bike a tank to pedal. thanks again. :happydance:

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
i like the mavic 729. i trashed a dt swiss 5.1 learning spins and moreso tailwhips.

the 729 is holding up considerably better for a rear wheel (i've still got a 5.1 on the front)

its a good mix of strength and weight...like 675 grams, and strong. Only thing is mavic = $$

Oct 8, 2003
yea the mavics are $$$$ I wish a cheaper rim would hold up because I know I will still be killing 1 or 2 a year. I was thinking about trying a ryno lite xl or somthing because it is cheap and I am curious if a rim with a square edge will hold up better to side landings then a round edge. Thinking about it I would just think having the square edge would be stronger then a round edge. (only stronger for side forces not flat spoting)

brandonbmx1

Chimp
Nov 11, 2006
Gainesville, FL
I was thinking about trying a ryno lite xl or somthing because it is cheap and I am curious if a rim with a square edge will hold up better to side landings then a round edge. Thinking about it I would just think having the square edge would be stronger then a round edge. (only stronger for side forces not flat spoting)
I dont know about the rhyno lite xl, but I had rhyno lites laced up to saints on my dj and trashed them pretty fast doing spin tail tap tricks and stuff. I think it had a lot to do with the quality of the spokes and how well they are laced and keeping the right spoke tension, cause I have had other rhyno lites last forever. Sorry, I guess that is not that much help in your rim selection.

Oct 8, 2003
Yea you are right they don't do well for stair gaps. It looks like you were unlucky enough to hit it right at the seem of the rim.

Oct 8, 2003
I dont know about the rhyno lite xl, but I had rhyno lites laced up to saints on my dj and trashed them pretty fast doing spin tail tap tricks and stuff. I think it had a lot to do with the quality of the spokes and how well they are laced and keeping the right spoke tension, cause I have had other rhyno lites last forever. Sorry, I guess that is not that much help in your rim selection.
It doesnt help with rim selection but it does bring up a good point that I forgot and that is spoke quality. Tension is important too but the spokes that came with my stock wheels on my p1 are no name spokes so replacing them with some dt or wheel smith would prob. help even with using the same rim. Thanks for reminding me.

cranberry

Monkey
Dec 30, 2005
Waaaay out there
It looks like you were unlucky enough to hit it right at the seem of the rim.

Actually the seam is located at the decal. The landing I shorted had a log across the top. It snapped the rim clean. I thought I had broken the frame at the pivot. I still have the hoop hanging in my garage to remind me not to come up short.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
if you are tight in the budget department also look into the alex dx32. that is a pretty damn tough rim as well. i rode one for a while on the trials bike and could break it. its a little heavy and a little ugly and a little (read alot for this one) stronger than your average rim

Oct 8, 2003
Yea I am on a tight budget thats why I was looking at the ryno lites the alex rims are around the same but they don't have eyelets??? I have always felt like eyelets were a must.