Quantcast

Strong Rims for Vee's

Odd is he

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
On my first ride on my P. Street, my stock rhino lite XL's came out of true very easy.....

I think im going to need some new rims soon, so, in your opinion what are the strongest rims that can be used V-brakes? maybe atom lab trail pimps? :confused:

Odd is he

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
caputo1989 said:
That only eans that the person who built the bike at the shop didn't stress the spokes and re true the wheels. Now that they are set all you need to do is re-true the wheel and have fun. DO NOT NEED NEW WHEELS!

I work at the shop, i built my bike, trued the wheels when they were fresh out the box, trued them again after a light ride....?

Just give an opinion for the future

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Try "pre-stressing" the spokes. Especially before riding it the first time. Wheels settle in, and are strongest after a few rides, unless abused.

offdawalley

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
hella over the rainbow
I have a rl xl and I love it, for me, it's incredibly strong, i'm only like 150 lbs I would say retrue them like everyone else, but it sounds like you know what you are doing, maybe you got some defective rims or something, but to answer your question, a few of my friends have atomlabs, and they seem really strong too, but I do love the rl xl

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I built up sun mammoth's, and they have needed very little truing. I'm no expert wheel builder either. They are super solid.

O.I.H., pick up the trail pimps. iv had good luck running them on both park bike and DH. nice plus is that the rim is made to run higher pressuse in the tires, which is helpful. Vbrakes work pretty well with em too. Rhyno lite XL's are nice rims, but i wouldnt run them on that kind of bike, theyll see too much abuse.

How's the Dstreet? im ordering mine next week after payday :)

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
The strongest rims I've ever used/abused would have to be the Funns I'm running now on my urban SS.
Heavy, but RETARDED strong. Can use vees, too. Available in 20", 24", and 26", with 32, 36, or 48 spokes.

These things just laugh at the terrain I killed other rims on...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've had very solid wheels built with ryno lite rims and straight gauge spokes.....but I did kill the rear wheel on a fairly large case. I also got tired of the stupid rim wall height when it came to changing tires. I've since had mavic 521/721 rims on my jump bike(s) and have yet to destroy one over the last 2 years. I use discs but they're designed to be used with rim brakes as well.