Quantcast

Strongest derailleur housing?

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Does anybody make extra strong der housing? The housing on my M6 keeps getting crushed by my fork. I originally built the bike with Jagwire housing (that's what the shop had in big rolls for the full run). After crushing that, I went to Nokons. It turns out that while it looks cool, those little pieces are actually quite fragile.

So what about Avid Flak Jackets? Also, Yokozuna, their brake housing looks like it would be hard to kill, but I can't tell if the der housing is any different from the norm.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The fork bumpers don't touch it. If they're positioned perfectly, they protect the housing, but they always turn after a few runs. I can take it out of the last guide and it won't get crushed, but the slap, slap, slap is a little annoying. I need new housing now anyway, so want to try something different. I'm sure somebody else makes something that will work. Nokon is armored with camelbak tube, btw.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Agreed. You won't find any housing that is significantly stronger than the Jagwire you initially used. You need to route it out of the way of the fork bumpers.
Jagwire seems awfully brittle. I just replaced the housings on my XC bike. They were only a few months old and full of cracks where they bend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have had good luck with my alligator fortress housing so far. Picked it up from pricepoint for a song when compared to the more expensive brands, and on the sunday the chain is constantly slapping it. It's held up so far, but I should probably cover it with something.

For the price, you can buy 2 for the price of one jagwire. I can't say whether they're any stronger than the jagwire, but the advertising literature had me sold enough to try it.