Quantcast

Strongest DJ fork out there?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
After snapping the arch and cracking the crown on a DJ3, and now currently on a Pike that makes horrible noises, I'm looking for a STRONG dj fork that I don't really have to worry about.

I realize that any fork can be broken if abused enough, but at the same time they should be able to withstand a lot of hard riding. I'm smooth when I'm just jumping...It's the learning tricks part that kills forks for me. Learning 360's, for example, is when my pike started making bad sounds.

So, I'm thinking of:

-Nemesis tuned Marz z.1 sport
-Marz DJ2 dropped to 80mm
-RS Argyle (somehow dropped in travel...)

I can't run a dropped 66vf2 because the crown doesn't clear my down tube (Black Market Riot). I refuse to run a Gold Label, seeing how one friend broke his within a month of mellow riding, and another just broke his after about a year.

It needs to be 20mm T/A, and less than 6.5lbs.

So, what have you all abused that is still holding up? Is the Marz DJ stronger than the Z.1? Or vice versa?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Snaky- I like the Nempro's, but after doing some more research it looks like the DJ series has a reinforced crown/steer tube area. I honestly don't know if the Z1 will last long enough, as the crown/steer tube area is where my forks see the most stress. Who knows though...

Jackson- theoretically an 05 would fit...but a 90mm '05 gives a stupid high ride height of 512mm. I'd have to drop it to 40mm to make it acceptable... I'd like a little more travel than that.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The new Zoke Dirt Jumpers have much fatter bolt-on crowns than previously, so you might give those a try. If you crack those (which I can't see happening without something pretty spectacular), then you can simply replace the corwns rather than the entire upper section. The RS Argyle crowns look pretty stout, and I'm not too sure about Manitou's.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
The new Zoke Dirt Jumpers have much fatter bolt-on crowns than previously, so you might give those a try. If you crack those (which I can't see happening without something pretty spectacular), then you can simply replace the corwns rather than the entire upper section. The RS Argyle crowns look pretty stout, and I'm not too sure about Manitou's.
Right now I'm leaning towards the DJ2...but why is it so much more expensive than the z.1 sport? Same damping system and similar crowns/lowers...

The Argyle is cool and I really like all the adjustments, but it is just so tall! 491mm ride height for 100mm travel...

Manitou's are light and feel good, but just don't hold up.

Anyone else? How about the new RST Space fork? Anyone spend time on one of those?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I highly doubt you'd have problems with a Z1. They're BEEF and they've got lots of bushing overlap.

The new Dirt Jumpers are even beefier if you're really worried about it.

I wouldn't trust an Argyle or Space fork.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I highly doubt you'd have problems with a Z1. They're BEEF and they've got lots of bushing overlap.

The new Dirt Jumpers are even beefier if you're really worried about it.

I wouldn't trust an Argyle or Space fork.
Yea, bushing overlap is great for stiffness and all, but doesn't help the crowns. I'm just not sure if it would be an issue or not...for some reason I'm REALLY hard on forks but not so much on the other components.

Why wouldn't you trust an argyle or a space fork? Too new?

snaky69

Monkey
Feb 10, 2007
Quebec, Canada
They've had their problems. You might want to stop landing like a load of bricks, maybe your forks would last longer.

Just trying to help. Knock on wood, but I've never had a problem with any forks I have owned.

Edit: You know, I think nempro can also make you a 66, while being heavy, it will be one big stout beast.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
He said he doesn't want a 66 'cause it's too tall and won't clear his DT.

CJ, the thing with the Z1 is that because it's aluminum it can transfer a bit of load and so rather than failing, it'll be more likely to just use its elasticity to not break. At least that's how Brad explains it.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
They've had their problems. You might want to stop landing like a load of bricks, maybe your forks would last longer.

Just trying to help. Knock on wood, but I've never had a problem with any forks I have owned.

Edit: You know, I think nempro can also make you a 66, while being heavy, it will be one big stout beast.
Read my first post dude.

I can land as smoothly as I want jumping just about anything, but when learning tricks its sometimes hard to control exactly how you come down:disgust:

As I also said, the 66 crown doesn't clear my downtube

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
You may laugh but I've had my mod'd 03 firefly for a couple years. it brings about 70mm of travel and so far, it has been indestructable, granted there's not much to break internally b/c of the tool and die spring mod. just a thought, it might be a really cheap alternative.

i'm pushing 190lbs and have had my Nemises Z1 for quite some time now. i destroyed several DJ1's over the previous 3 years before i went to the Z1 (1. broken stanchions, 2. broken crown, 3. bent crown and arch, 4. broken crown, 5. bent crown and stanchions) i highly doubt the crown of the Z1 could possibly be any weaker than a DJ series which you hold in high regard in that area considering the fork is a factory 6" freeride fork. plus when i switched to the Z1, my bike dropped about 5 pounds. my Z1 is now onto it's third frame, the first 2 had the headtubes go south on them and the fork doesn't even creak or anything yet. don't think for a second that the Z1 isn't the fork you are looking for....

first it was on my STP then on an ACid, now it's on my NEMESISproject...

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
yo wch where do i find the dam z1. i cant find anywhere that has it.. i need one for the t-o-p. so i can get served already. hahahahahakiller nothing by the way. and i can vouch about the djs i watched one sanpp on wch's bike while he was landing so.. i trust the man judgnemt when it comes to forks plus he throws down ahrder thn most so. what up with the fork homie where do i find it...

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
i'm pushing 190lbs and have had my Nemises Z1 for quite some time now. i destroyed several DJ1's over the previous 3 years before i went to the Z1 (1. broken stanchions, 2. broken crown, 3. bent crown and arch, 4. broken crown, 5. bent crown and stanchions) i highly doubt the crown of the Z1 could possibly be any weaker than a DJ series which you hold in high regard in that area considering the fork is a factory 6" freeride fork. plus when i switched to the Z1, my bike dropped about 5 pounds. my Z1 is now onto it's third frame, the first 2 had the headtubes go south on them and the fork doesn't even creak or anything yet. don't think for a second that the Z1 isn't the fork you are looking for....

Ha WCH ripping it up !!!

If the all mighty WCH cant break the Nem Pro tuned Z-1 !!!
No one can :shocked: Well it sounds good at least , last thing I need to see is some Andre the giant size kid jumping to flat and breakign one LOL

....last thing I need to see is some Andre the giant size kid jumping to flat and breakign one .....
FWIW, i overshot the double in the first pic like 4-5 times and landed in the flat each time (all that dirt on me was from wadding up really hard the first time it happened). you can obviously see that is a large drop to flat. that day was the death of the ACid. all those overshoots straight anihilated the headtube on it....

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
fwiw. the 06 Z1 is made in italy, the new 07's taiwan..

and you still find the 06 floating around on close out.. then you have to send to nemesis to get it lowered or get the kit from him and diy...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16007-315_MARZ16-43-Brands-214-Marzocchi-Forks/Marzocchi-Z1-Sport-Suspension-Fork-'06.htm

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA

Thanks man, that was a really helpful post :thumb: the reason I hold the DJ "in high regard" is that on marzocchi's website it specifically says "reinforced alloy crown & steer tube", whereas the Z.1 does not say that. But sounds like it's not an issue for you...damn that is a lot of broken parts.

fwiw. the 06 Z1 is made in italy, the new 07's taiwan..

and you still find the 06 floating around on close out.. then you have to send to nemesis to get it lowered or get the kit from him and diy...
So I guess that's why the 07's are so much cheaper huh? I'd imagine the quality is the same though...hopefully...

Looks like the Z.1 is the fork for me...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The 07 Z1 Sports do have the bolt on crown though. A nice feature if you ask me. But no external compression adjust like the 06.

Anyone know where the 07 DJ2's are being made?

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
But no external compression adjust like the 06.
If your fork is lower by the compression does very little if anything at all, which doesn't really matter seeing it feels damn near perfect out of the box. FWIW I'm over 200lbs and I'm not too smooth and I've been on a Z1 sport for over a year now and it's held up perfectly. There has only been one issue with the rebound getting stuck and brad got me a new cartridge as warranty because his fork are still covered!