Quantcast

Struggling with a shot. Help?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When I take shots that catch my eye but aren't quite "there" I like to inspect them and find out what I like.

Help me with this shot:

I keep coming back to it. I like it a lot. But I don't know if I love it.

Thoughts?

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I like the sharpness and the color but that one little twig or whatever it is that is out of focus on the front left hand side takes away from the shot. I think I might have cropped it a little bit differently but the lines are awesome so I like it anyways. Nice shot.
Edit: Narlus beat me to the framing part. Damn.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
It reminds me of fireworks.

I like fireworks.

I disagree with Quo on the DOF. I think its spot-on.

My eye keeps drawing to the white out-of-focus thing in the top left however....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Meh, it's not such a complex subject that I couldn't find another setup roughly the same. I know where I took it.

When I framed it in the viewfinder I didn't really initially like it giving any space around the upper right, felt like the subject matter required some kind of interesting framing. I framed it with the idea that it might look interesting after being matted.

Here's an idea of what that would look like, with that twig also cloned out (ignore the messy job, it was just playing with it for the purposes of trying again and seeing what would look better):

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably try a similar setup next time to see what different framing and/or more depth of field might do to it.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd try a speedlight camera left with a CTO on it and have it fire into the top right of the frame to warm up the stuff in the foreground a little. I don't like the slight color contrast between the foreground object and the background orange.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I think it could look better getting lower and looking up at it with some space above it, maybe the sky. At that angle, they could look like trees.